1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Immunosignature Analysis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) (2018) Fluge et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Cheshire, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12035-018-1354-8

Edit: Text breaks are mine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    JaimeS, inox, MEMarge and 21 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does this mean that 256 tests need to be done to differentiate ME from controls or one molecule that has 256 parts in it?

andypants, Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume that they have 256 different peptide molecules, a tiny dab of each of which is put on to a different pin or well in an array.The patient's serum is then added and the pattern of antibody binding to the 256 pins (wells) is visualised using a fluorescent or otherwise tagged developer reagent. So each patient and control provides a pattern of 256 spots of different brightness. You put these into computer and it tells you whether it is a patient pattern or a control pattern - like a barcode really.

What the text quoted above does not say is how well the pattern replicated across populations. With enough dots in the array you can always find a signature for patients, but it may be just a chance pattern in that sample.

Grigor, TiredSam, Simon M and 16 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, thanks for explaining

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

One group of samples were from the earlier rituximab trials.

So presumably one thing to watch out for will be another paper that applies the same protocol to generate immunosignatures from the post-treatment samples, to see if there are any interesting differences between the responders and non-responders and if the responders' immunosignatures look more like those of the healthy controls. Sample sizes are small of course.

veganmua, inox, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.