Immune cell proteomes of Long COVID patients have functional changes similar to those in ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2023, Peppercorn, Tate et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-3335919/v1

Article

Immune cell proteomes of Long COVID patients have functional changes similar to those in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Katie Peppercorn1

Christina D. Edgar1

Torsten Kleffmann1

Warren. P Tate1

Email

1 University of Otago

https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-3335919/v1

Of those infected with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), ~ 10% develop the chronic post-viral debilitating condition, Long COVID (LC).

Although LC is a heterogeneous condition, about half of cases have a typical post-viral fatigue condition with onset and symptoms that are very similar to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

A key question is whether these conditions are closely related. ME/CFS is a post-stressor fatigue condition that arises from multiple triggers.

To investigate the pathophysiology of LC, a pilot study of patients and healthy controls has used quantitative proteomics to discover changes in peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) proteins.

A principal component analysis separated all Long COVID patients from healthy controls.

Analysis of 3131 proteins identified 162 proteins differentially regulated, of which 37 were related to immune functions, and 21 to mitochondrial functions.

Markov cluster analysis identified clusters involved in immune system processes, and two aspects of gene expression-spliceosome and transcription.

These results were compared with an earlier dataset of 346 differentially regulated proteins in PBMC’s from ME/CFS patients analysed by the same methodology.

There were overlapping protein clusters and enriched molecular pathways particularly in immune functions, suggesting the two conditions have similar immune pathophysiology as a prominent feature, and mitochondrial functions involved in energy production were affected in both conditions.

This is the preprint abstract. The article is now published, see post #7 below.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2023
    sebaaa, Michelle, Kitty and 10 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I was excited to see this paper. I do think that there will be answers in proteomics, although perhaps it will take some increased selection of the tissues/cell types samples to really zero in on the anomalies.

I thought the Introduction was well written.

This study looked at the unstratified peripheral blood mononuclear cells of people with Long covid, approximately 1 year after illness, comparing them to healthy controls and to previous results from people with ME/CFS.

But the study is small. I have not seen clear information about the controls in the paper - had they had covid-19 but no ongoing symptoms (if so, when were they infected?) or had they never had Covid-19? There are also no details of gender or age of the controls. The study says age and gender matched controls , but there are 6 people with LC and only 5 controls. I hope that the authors add details about the controls to the paper before it is finally published.

I think the results of the PCA are not described sufficiently well in the text or the abstract. e.g.
    It is only in the figure that we find out that the PC3 comparison, which is the one that separates the Long covid samples from the control samples, only explained 6.8% of the variation:

Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 7.13.21 am.png
    That is a bit underwhelming, although perhaps to be expected with such small samples - the data will be very noisy with individual variation unrelated to LC status. I didn't see much of an effort made to control that noise. For example, the participants could have been restricted to people of one sex, the samples could have been taken at a certain time of the day, and during a certain time in the menstrual cycle.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    MEMarge, sebaaa, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  3. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does that even mean?

This ambiguiity about cognitive behavioural vs immune triggers for ME is apparently not accidental.

From later in the text.

I think this is much more dangerous than it looks.

The ref to justify this statement is by one of the authors. So self justification of prejudice.

Multiple triggers for ME is fuzzy thinking and buys into BPS narrative that stress causes ME.

The more likely scenario where infection is involved along with reports of stress is that immune conditions make people feel stressed.

The term post-viral is also a BPS assumption. Its not post from where I am sitting with multiple PCR diagnoses of recurring virus, definitely not. If they think it is, the burden is on them to prove it.

So in my view this phraseology is a horrible fudge and the small sample size suggests to me the rest of the paper is too.

It says what we want to hear but without rigorous scientific thinking to back it up, which I distrust and it buys into the BPS belief system.

At best this is clumsy fence straddling for purposes of seeking funding and at worst a potential trojan horse for BPS bamboozlement and the funding lobby it serves.

4. Hutan

I don't think that analysis is quite right. Professor Tate has been staunch in dismissing the idea that GET helps for example.

I think the
    mostly covers the multiple diseases that seem to initiate ME/CFS, while also allowing for things like vaccinations and physical trauma and, yes, possibly emotional trauma.

I have myself been concerned about some of Professor Tate's papers that head well into unevidenced central sensitisation speculation that doesn't look very different to some of the BPS views when they are given an overlay of biological words. But, apart from a paragraph referencing that, I think this paper mostly steps around those ideas. I have been concerned about some of Tate's statements e.g. the promotion of reiki, but he has worked hard for people with ME/CFS and his contribution has been, on balance, very much for the good.

On the study size, that is an ongoing problem for this group, and is the result of a lack of funding. I'm sure it is as frustrating for the investigators as it is for us. At the very least, Professor Tate, who is actually retired, continues to produce young investigators who believe that there is a biomedical answer to the question 'what is ME/CFS?'.

MEMarge, RaviHVJ, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see @Hutan , so you consider Tate's track record indicates he has good intentions as a genuinely enquiring mind as opposed to being employed to manipulate public perceptions of ME/CFS. Fair enough, I can respect that for what it is, while bearing in mind there is an old adage which warns us about good intentions, which I think applies.

Nevertheless I hope Tate's students go on to exercise their critical thinking and gain clinical level experience with PWME so they get a feel for what ME is rather than what it might be based on imaginative interpretation of descriptions and criteria, the latter being too nebulous to offer a definitive diagnosis.

For this reason, to my mind, patient heterogeneity is most logically regarded as due to multiple distinct subtypes, all matching the nebulous criteria rather than assuming it is the same syndrome with many causes, which IMHO amounts to a kind of class error.

Before we can say there are common phenomena between any subtypes we need to understand each subtype and the physiological systems it affects. That is one aspect of what I am seeing as fuzzy thinking.

Once we have identifiable subtypes we can discuss which if any might be genuinely post-viral, which are atypical chronic active infections (ACAI) like my own illness, which subtypes might involve central sensitisation which requires very careful investigation considering the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and comparison of its criteria with the incredibly painful muscle cricks, cramps and pains I have had since onset of ACAI, which I now know are not sensitisation because they can be managed using Mg / Ca balance.

At the heart of all this is a classification error which we hope Decode ME will help us solve.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    MEMarge, Amw66, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Yes, I think that's fair.

I think that the BPS view of ME/CFS is incredibly insidious, creeping into the outlooks of even smart people who have seen ME/CFS close up and who genuinely want to help.

7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A pilot study on the immune cell proteome of long COVID patients shows changes to physiological pathways similar to those in myalgic encephalomyelitis

Abstract

Of those infected with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), ~ 10% develop the chronic post-viral debilitating condition, long COVID (LC). Although LC is a heterogeneous condition, about half of cases have typical post-viral fatigue with onset and symptoms that are very similar to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). A key question is whether these conditions are closely related. ME/CFS is a post-stressor fatigue condition that arises from multiple triggers.

To investigate the pathophysiology of LC, a pilot study of patients (n = 6) and healthy controls (n = 5) has used quantitative proteomics to discover changes in peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) proteins. A principal component analysis separated all long COVID patients from healthy controls. Analysis of 3131 proteins identified 162 proteins differentially regulated, of which 37 were related to immune functions, and 21 to mitochondrial functions.

Markov cluster analysis identified clusters involved in immune system processes, and two aspects of gene expression-spliceosome and transcription. These results were compared with an earlier dataset of 346 differentially regulated proteins in PBMC’s from ME/CFS patients (n = 9) analysed by the same methodology.

There were overlapping protein clusters and enriched molecular pathways particularly in immune functions, suggesting the two conditions have similar immune pathophysiology as a prominent feature, and mitochondrial functions involved in energy production were affected in both conditions.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-49402-9#:~:text=ME/CFS is a post,that arises from multiple triggers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2023
    Simon M, Sean, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  9. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2024
  10. Dolphin

11. Dolphin

Kitty and RedFox like this.
  12. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

New research using LC samples analysed against their existing ME/CFS data (published previously) to look for similarities and differences.