1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Illness beliefs of adolescents with CFS and their parents: the perceived causes of illness and beliefs about recovery, 2018,Loades et al (inc Chalder)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Aug 18, 2018.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Umm, medical science? Science, this lot?

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Action for M.E. - please address the 2 year recovery period in your info for GPs, including advising those who have watched - there is so little evidence of this it is both unprofessional and harmful

3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why? How? Based on what?

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl: Hmm. So after a life time of successfully recovering from virus infections - mumps, measles, chicken pox, shingles, glandular fever, the annual cold, perhaps a flu, conjunctivitis, plenty more no doubt - when I got a fairly unremarkable gastric flu type illness, I felt helpless about recovering?

Actually I felt sure I would be recovering any time soon for the first two years or so. And my two children, also survivors of multiple virus infections, although admittedly a smaller selection, also felt sure they would be recovering any time soon.

I'm quite confident that attributing CFS to a viral trigger had nothing to do with me coming to doubt recovery any time soon. It was the years of illness that did that.

5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That looks familiar: "Blaming symptoms on a viral infection conveys certain advantages, irrespective of its validity. It is simple, frequent and easily accepted. ... It is also beneficial to self-esteem by protecting the individual from guilt and blame." - Wessely (1991) [link to more complete quote in another thread here]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the famous examples of people with HIV is surely proof of this claim that it precludes guilt, blame or social stigma. FFS.

ladycatlover, Lisa108, Inara and 11 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Chalder et al regurgitating Wessely what a surprise

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Situation needs that level of response. Start with an immediate suspension of psycho-behavioural treatments of the sort used by PACE and similar trials, especially exercise treatments. Then straight onto the high level, independent, and very public investigations into exactly WTF happened, and why, and how do we make sure its like doesn't happen again.

10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In a sense she is regurgitating herself, as she was one of the "et als", along with Butler and David.

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Eugh even worse

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bump - still to have a response to this

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Science", according to psychosocial ideologues.

[​IMG]