1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Idiopathic myalgic pain (fibromyalgia): supportive management and prevention with Pycnogenol®, 2021, Belcaro et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Background: The aim of this registry study was the prospective evaluation of the efficacy of Pycnogenol® in idiopathic fibromyalgia (FM), over 4 weeks in comparison with the standard management (SM).

Methods: A SM and a Pycnogenol®+SM group were formed. Pycnogenol® supplementation was used at the dose of 150 mg/day (4 weeks). The study considered the most important/frequent symptoms of FM.

Results: Fifty patients with idiopathic fibromyalgia were included: 26 in the Pycnogenol® group and 24 served as controls. The two groups were comparable at inclusion. No other disease or condition was present. All subjects were otherwise healthy women (BMI<26), not using any drug. All subjects had an elevated level of oxidative stress (OS) at inclusion. All routine blood tests - and all inflammatory and rheumatic tests - were within the normal range at inclusion and at the end of the study. No safety or tolerability problems were observed. The percentage of patients using NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) as rescue medications in the observation period was significantly higher in the SM management group (P<0.05) in comparison with the supplement group. The percentage of patients using corticosteroids as rescue medication was significantly higher in the SM group (P<0.05). The percentage of subjects with the symptoms/complaints decreased significantly, considering each symptom, with Pycnogenol® after 4 weeks in comparison with the SM (P<0.05).

Conclusions: Pycnogenol® supplementation appears to control and reduce the intensity of common symptoms and complaints - especially pain-related - associated with FM. Pycnogenol® could be a 'soft', safe supplementation and prevention method to manage the symptoms of most of these patients, even for longer periods, reducing the need for drugs.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33541059/

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of it, so I looked it up:

Pycnogenol is the registered trademark brand name of French maritime pine bark extract. It’s used as a natural supplement for several conditions, including dry skin and ADHD.

Pine bark extract contains active ingredients that can also be found in peanut skin, grape seed, and witch hazel bark.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pycnogenol

alktipping, shak8 and MEMarge like this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Orchid that I am (or rather shrinking violet) I might thrive on maritime pine bark.

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't pine bark what the native north americans used for pain? I thought this was how aspirin was discovered. Maybe I mis-remember or confabulate something here.

shak8 likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Aspirin comes from willow bark originally.

alktipping and shak8 like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. Right. Now you say it I recognise my error. Willow bark NOT pine bark.

So something new then.

alktipping and Trish like this.
  7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

pure marketing dressed with psuedoscience nothing to see here move along to the next money spinner .

Milo likes this.
  8. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All Fibromyalgia is idiopathic, it's a waste basket diagnosis.

alktipping likes this.