1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

IACFSME 2022 Virtual Medical Conference: Day 1 Workshops: 27 July (9 am to 5 pm EDT)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Science For ME, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As others have said, most people cannot access a TTT, but a 10 minute lean test is accessible. In the recent (July 2022) National Academy of Medicine report on Selected heritable disorders of connective tissue and disability, the committee commissioned a chapter (Appendix B) from Peter Rowe entitled The Functional Impact of Orthostatic Intolerance in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome in which Rowe includes detailed instructions and forms on how to administer the 10 minute lean test which his clinic has been conducting since 1999(I believe). The work by van Campen, Visser and Rowe certainly seems to validate the 10 minute lean.

Stiles also seems to be dismissive of PEM (according to other discussions I have seen about her talk) and yet several well-informed, articulate people have spoken to her about it at length.

Dolphin, Amw66 and Andy like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Those who attended the conference have now been sent links to all the talks which we can access for a month.

I have now watched the rest of this session. Remember this is addressed to OT's and PT's to advise them how to help pwME with managing activity using pacing.

3 kinds of pacing

- for healthy people - how we organise our daily lives

- therapeutic pacing, eg for pain, which involves finding a base level and gradually increasing activity

- pacing for PEM - staying within energy envelope and managing activity to avoid PEM.

This distinction is important for therapists to understand, as they are trained to do the therapeutic pacing for things like pain, and that's not appropriate for pwME because of PEM. So she specified that this session is about the third type, Pacing for PEM. Below I've copied her screen summarising key points of this:

Pacing for PEM focused on

1. Severity Threshold & Symptoms What is the Quality & Quantity threshold? What are the primary symptoms?

2. Heart Rate Biofeedback & Self-Assessments What are the physical cues of exceeding the threshold?

3. Activity Assessment & Task Analysis
    Prioritize: What are the core occupational roles and components of the task?
    (She also talked about not taking an activity in isolation but seeing it in the context of all the activities before and after when working out whether to do an activity.)
    Plan: What will it take to get it done? Modifications/Adaptations
    Pace: How can I get this done with what I have? What is my energy envelope?

4. Create Space for Recovery: Leave 30% Battery for Recovery
    (I think here she means recovery back to level before each activity, not recovery from disease)

The method for helping with pacing is based on heart rate monitoring, what she called 'heart rate biofeedback' using the Workwell suggestion of
    Resting heart rate plus 15 beats per minute.
    This needs to be adapted if the patient is on medication that affects HR, or has POTS.

Heart rate on its own is not enough, symptoms need to be taken into account too. For example HR may not reflect cognitive fatigue or emotional stressors.

She recommends a combination of HR monitoring, activity, symptom and PEM records, and severity scales to monitor over time.

She describes HR biofeedback as providing 'an objective tool for preventing “Push/Crash Cycling” and “Fear-Based Restriction”, can help counter secondary deconditioning and depression and improve the patient’s sense of control.' She gave quotes from patients who had learned to do less or allow themselves to do a bit more using HR.

There was then a detailed example of task based analysis for washing/grooming for each of 4 severity levels.

This is copy of her final screen

Setting Goals & Measuring Outcomes

Goal: Improve Quality of Life

Treatment Focus

• Manage symptoms

• Manage activity w/in PEM limitations

• Restore autonomy

Measuring Outcomes:

• Identify primary symptoms impeding functional performance

• Track & monitor the primary symptoms

• Utilize Quality of Life scales to determine overall improved health

It was good to see her describing the goal as improving quality of life, not as being able to do more. Her focus was very much on getting the most out of life while preventing PEM as much as possible.

I was also pleased to see that she included the therapist monitoring how people's quality of life was affected, rather than trying to use fatigue or physical functioning scales as the CBT/GET people do. There was clear recognition that it's about helping pwME to have a better quality of life within their limitations, not to pretend this was a cure.

bobbler, alktipping, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  3. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I roll over in bed I raise my heart rate by 15 beats. That is an impossible target to meet for anyone with any amount of orthostatic intolerance and it doesn't even come close to where my PEM limit really is. I guess its only one part but I personally found a HR watch extremely helpful in the beginning and keeping below resting + 40 bpm was a good point to avoid PEM, I wish I could get a watch that allowed constantly quality testing and an alarm for that heart rate level.

Ash, bobbler, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Tom Kindlon

Andy, Trish and Hutan like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

7. Tom Kindlon

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

9. Tom Kindlon

Hutan and Trish like this.