1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypnosis in the treatment of pediatric functional neurological disorder: the magic glove technique, 2021, Coogle et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

The treatment of functional neurological disorder (FND), previously referred to as conversion disorder, can be challenging. Despite these challenges and with increased understanding of this condition, new treatment options are emerging. One such treatment is hypnosis, which has a long history of use in the treatment of functional neurological disorder. Jean-Martin Charcot, considered by many to be the father of modern neurology, employed therapeutic hypnosis as early as the 19th century. In this report, we discuss the novel use of a hypno-anesthetic technique (the magic glove) for treatment of functional neurological disorder presenting as diplegia. We illustrate the use of the technique with the case of a 9-year-old girl who suffered from chronic pain and lower extremity weakness secondary to functional neurological disorder. With the magic glove technique she improved rapidly and by her sixth month follow-up visit was free of symptoms. We review the current literature on functional neurological disorder interventions and emphasize the need for continued research in this field.

Paywall, https://www.pedneur.com/article/S0887-8994(21)00186-7/fulltext

Simbindi, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Technically this is true since all they do in this field is develop new "treatments". Always derived from existing ones but still. At issue is that "emerging" and "correct" and "effective" are vastly different concepts. Phrenology was emerging once, so was the absurd idea that mood massively influence cancer outcomes.

Says a lot, though, that a "magic glove" would "work", about everything else that "works". It mostly says that about the word "works". And "magic glove" is really just the tiniest hop onto "healing hands" territory.

Lidia, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Is this meant to convince us that hypnosis is a credible treatment? I mean Hippocrates, considered by many to be the father of modern medicine, had some theories that seem a little, well, wrong, now. Well, to most of us, anyway.

Argos, sea, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Back to bloodletting and phrenology too, perhaps?

5. Hutan

I can't access the paper, but this type of case report concerns me a lot. In the abstract, there is no consideration of the possibility that the girl had some physical cause of her lower limb weakness and just recovered naturally over time. And so, with the certain view that she just needs to think differently, it's totally fine to lie to her about a 'magic glove'.

This kind of thinking breeds a society that believes all sorts of nonsense and rejects careful science - and that's dangerous, as is so sadly illustrated in this pandemic. It's also going to leave this girl convinced that she can't trust her feelings and symptoms. It's not harmless.

Lidia, Solstice, chrisb and 9 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan likes this.
  7. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All I see is a child being coerced into giving an answer that will please the adult who is applying the “treatment”. What am I missing?

8. sea

sea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I see is an adult tricking a child by applying less pressure on the “magic glove” and thus gaining their trust in the process.

Hutan, Sean and 5vforest like this.
  9. Hutan

I've sometimes wondered if there is anything to hypnosis other than suggestion on steroids. The evidence I've seen does not look very compelling in terms of supporting the idea that it is any more than that. And that video isn't at all convincing.

Does anyone have any insights?

Art Vandelay and Trish like this.