1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy improves neurocognitive functions & symptoms of post-COVID condition: randomized controlled trial, 2022, Zilberman-Itskovich

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Post-COVID-19 condition refers to a range of persisting physical, neurocognitive, and neuropsychological symptoms after SARS-CoV-2 infection. The mechanism can be related to brain tissue pathology caused by virus invasion or indirectly by neuroinflammation and hypercoagulability. This randomized, sham-control, double blind trial evaluated the effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT or HBO2 therapy) on post-COVID-19 patients with ongoing symptoms for at least 3 months after confirmed infection.

Seventy-three patients were randomized to receive daily 40 session of HBOT (n = 37) or sham (n = 36). Follow-up assessments were performed at baseline and 1–3 weeks after the last treatment session. Following HBOT, there was a significant group-by-time interaction in global cognitive function, attention and executive function (d = 0.495, p = 0.038; d = 0.477, p = 0.04 and d = 0.463, p = 0.05 respectively). Significant improvement was also demonstrated in the energy domain (d = 0.522, p = 0.029), sleep (d = − 0.48, p = 0.042), psychiatric symptoms (d = 0.636, p = 0.008), and pain interference (d = 0.737, p = 0.001).

Clinical outcomes were associated with significant improvement in brain MRI perfusion and microstructural changes in the supramarginal gyrus, left supplementary motor area, right insula, left frontal precentral gyrus, right middle frontal gyrus, and superior corona radiate. These results indicate that HBOT can induce neuroplasticity and improve cognitive, psychiatric, fatigue, sleep and pain symptoms of patients suffering from post-COVID-19 condition. HBOT’s beneficial effect may be attributed to increased brain perfusion and neuroplasticity in regions associated with cognitive and emotional roles.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-15565-0

2. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Dr Herbert Renz-Polster (member of the scientific advisory board of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur ME/CFS):

“First RCT on HBOT in #LongCovid

I am unimpressed. If you do 40 HBOT sessions you want to have larger effects. If you deduct the improvements also seen in the sham group , the HBOT patients rarely improved by > 10 points in the (100 point) SF-36 domains.”

https://twitter.com/user/status/1547636471003197444

rachel76, Solstice, Wyva and 9 others like this.
  3. cassava7

A question on statistics. The authors wrote:
    Considering that the primary outcome was an evalution of 6 neurocognitive domains, shouldn’t it rather be 0.05 / 6 = 0.0083?

As for the secondary outcomes, considering that 22 domains were compared (across 4 questionnaires), shouldn’t it be 0.05 / 22 = 0.0023?

Or should it be the sum of all comparisons across both primary and secondary outcomes, i.e. 0.05 / (6 + 22) = 0.0018?

Edit: the authors seem to have applied Bonferroni correction to within-group pre-post intervention (HBOT or sham) comparisons of subdomain scores, but not to their ANOVA model. Should they have?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Solstice, Wyva, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Conflicts of interest? Yep

Declared conflicts of interest:
    Undeclared conflicts of interest:
    Sagol Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Research employees
    Shani Zilberman-Itskovich
    Merav Cataglona
    Efrat Sasson
    Karin Elman-Shina
    Amir Hadanny
    Erez Lang
    Shachar Finci
    Nir Polack
    Gregory Fishlev
    Calanit Korin
    Ran Shorer
    Yoav Parag
    Marina Sova
    Shai Efrati
    (Oh, that's all the authors.)

S.Z.I., M.C., K.E.S., A.H., S.E. conceived and designed the study.
    S.Z.I., K.E.S., E.L., S.F., N.P., G.F., C.K., S.E. contributed to patients’ recruitment and data acquisition.
    M.C., A.H., E.S., Y.P., S.E. performed the data analysis.
    M.C., E.S. and A.H. performed the statistical analysis,
    M.C., S.Z.I., A.H., S.E. wrote the first draft of the manuscript.
    All authors revised and finalized the manuscript.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Solstice, Wyva, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So...

What is a sham HBOT treatment? You simply sit in the chamber and it doesn't get pressurized, for 40 sessions on end? yes. 90 minutes per treatment, 5 days a week.

These are big claims:
    Lastly this caught my attention:

Solstice, Wyva, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lost me there. This is so much like in a cult where the doctrine always has to be injected into any discussion.

The obsession with neuroplasticity is destroying more brain function than literally all the alcohol in the world. It's like concentrated Humours, except all the other organs have been eliminated from the list so every unknown is attributed to some magical brain function somewhere. What a dumb era in medicine, even worse by comparison to the Humours because of how late it's happening.

Solstice, alktipping, Wyva and 2 others like this.
  7. cassava7

Leonid Schneider (data sleuth & scientific integrity journalist) has flagged this study because the authors have previously been involved in scientific fraud. The owner of the company, Dr Schai Efrati, has previously made claims that HBOT is an effective treatment for many conditions.

Importantly, Schneider spotted that 11% of the patients in the intervention group had been hospitalized for Covid while that number rose to 22% in the control group.

The study has also been retweeted by Peter McCullough, a notable anti-vax cardiologist.

https://forbetterscience.com/2022/07/15/schneider-shorts-15-07-2022-how-to-swear-in-french/#hbot

8. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice, alktipping and Hutan like this.
  9. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a doctor here, owner of a private clinic for HBOT, who has been popping up in the media recently, promoting HBOT as a treatment for long covid. (Interestingly, she is a psychiatrist originally.) To prove her point, she says there have been double-blinded placebo controlled studies that show this works for LC, so I guess this study is what she meant. Not very convincing then.

Solstice, alktipping, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Hutan

Fairly small sample size, which is not reported in the abstract.

Quite a lot of loss of patients from the intention to treat - so they are only getting data from a select group. And no controls.

Solstice, Peter Trewhitt and EndME like this.
  12. Hutan

Why would a trial like this report the numbers of people with each sort of marital status (single, married, divorced, widowed)? Or number of children?
    Can you imagine them saying 'our treatment works for married people only'? No - there's no conceivable mechanism for that. So why not only collect that data, but clutter up their tables telling us about it?

There's a lot of questionable statements that make the discussion sound all very sciencey.
    That one for example has a reference 37: Mechanisms of hyperbaric oxygen and neuroprotection in stroke, 2005
    That paper has a paywall, but it says
    So, I think it's very unlikely that the cited paper unequivocally states that HBOT restores mitochondria function in neurons and glia cells. The 'attenuated by Long Covid' in that sentence is actually a bit ambiguous, but I expect that they were trying to suggest that mitochondrial function in neuron and glial cells is reduced in Long Covid. I don't think we can yet say that with confidence.

Solstice, Peter Trewhitt and EndME like this.
  13. Fizzlou

Fizzlou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Straight in at 2ATM? MS HBOT centres ease people in at 1.5ATM (equivalent to 16 feet depth) for 20 sessions minimum. Then you can choose to go to 24ft, then 33ft which is 2ATM. I tolerated 1.5ATM well but 1.75ATM set me back. Possible oxidative stress? I would be very worried if LC patients started on 2ATM HBOT if they had developed ME in the meantime.
    In MS there is little evidence for HBOT being effective. MS patients cannot even access home surface oxygen.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Solstice and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper spends half its time discussing hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy in neonates, with experiments in 7-day old rats. Then goes on to focal and global cerebral ischaemia.

In summary figure 6 is —

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 9.15.51 PM copy Medium.jpeg

Fig. 6. Mechanisms of HBO neuroprotection. Cerebral hypoxia–ischemia disables energy metabolism, reduces ATP production, releases glutamate, and causes calcium overload and depolarization. Mitochondrial damage follows, with oxygen radical generation and inflammatory reactions. All these pathological events not only lead to apoptotic neuron death, but also result in brain infarction, brain edema and the dysfunction of blood–brain barrier. The final outcome is the death or disability of patients. HBO either improves oxygen delivery or oxygen extraction to enhance neuronal viability. HBO protects the blood–brain barrier and reduces cerebral edema. Cerebral metabolism is improved by HBO and levels of glutamate, glucose, and pyruvate are stabilized. The inhibitory effect of HBO on inflammatory agents and on apoptosis may be mediated by the re-regulation of superoxide dismutase and by enhancing the expression of pro-survival Bcl-2 genes. Finally, HBO decreases the deformability of the red blood cells to improve microcirculation and reduce hypoxia–ischemia.​

The legend says HBO decreases the deformability of the red blood cells, but they mean increases, as in the graphic. Blood and oxygen needs to get to the brain but also blood flow needs to clear neurotoxic waste-products of metabolism. RBC deformability will help the microcirculation but is probably not fully compensating.