1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyperbaric Medicine & The Brain Conference, 09-12 September 2019, Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by MeSci, Mar 1, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: European Underwater and Baromedical Society

Date: March 1, 2019

URL: https://eubs2019.com

Hyperbaric Medicine & The Brain Conference
    ------------------------------------------
    09-12 September 2019, Tel Aviv

(...)

The emerging indications related to hyperbaric oxygen and the brain will be covered in depth by the world leading investigators in the following fields: Traumatic brain Injury (TBI) and its related Post-concussion syndrome (PCS), Mild cognitive impairment (MCI), Age related cognitive/functional decline, Stroke, Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Chronic pain syndromes and Fibromyalgia (FMS).

(...)

Estherbot, MEMarge and Aroa like this.
  2. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is an MS Centre near where I live with a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.

Anecdotal evidence from some people suggests it makes them feel better for a few hours (reduced pain).

A personal take.... Is it just making the users high for a few hours?

What do you think?

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a myth that oxygen makes people feel high. I have been going to my local MS chamber for 24 years now and the only immediate effect is a feeling of freshness like being at the seaside.

I started going because one hospital registrar said she thought I had MS and it is very possible from my symptoms then (I couldn't feed myself and had episodes of blindness). Those symptoms improved slightly or never worsened.

Hyperbaric oxygen increases the amount of oxygen dissolved in the interstitial fluid. When injury or disease prevents red blood cells reaching places the fluid can still get in and release oxygen to the tissues. It certainly speeds up healing.

I sleep well the night after which makes it worthwhile on its own and i think it has helped keep me from becoming bedbound, though it is not a cure. For most people, when you go every week it is hard to feel a difference but if you miss a few it perks you up when you go.