1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrolyzed Marine Collagen powder

Discussion in 'Nutrition, food sensitivity, microbiome treatments' started by Mij, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm considering trying this expensive collagen powder to help improve my nail strength. The ridges on my finger nails started 5 years into the onset of M.E. My nails and hair grow like weeds but the quality of my fingernails is poor.

I've also read that taking a marine based collagen powder enhances joint health and can be beneficial for those of us who can't exercise. I eat enough protein and fish oil et but I can't get rid of the ridges.

2. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried a collagen supplement earlier this year in powder form. Quite expensive. I gave up trying new supplements etc. years ago but this was bought for me. My hair condition did seem to improve but I have a super sensitive stomach that reacts to weird things and I think it may have upset my stomach (always hard to know if that's what it was) so I stopped. I don't think it did much for my nails but probably wasn't on it long enough. I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you.

DokaGirl and Mij like this.
  3. Mij

I found this study that showed positive results after 12 weeks from taking a particular supplement brand.

DokaGirl likes this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this is something you eat, it will do nothing. Collagen is a protein, meaning your digestive system will break it down into its component amino acids before it's absorbed.

DokaGirl, CRG, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. Mij

Yeah, it reminds me of when whey protien was the big fad 20 years ago.

DokaGirl and alktipping like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moreover, nails are not made of collagen. Nor is hair. They are made of keratin.
    Even IV collagen would do nothing.

DokaGirl, alktipping, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  7. Mij

Thanks. I just saved myself $90

DokaGirl, Tia, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319867
    I know you can google as well as the rest of us @Mij, but I thought I'd share that link to discuss it. It, like other websites, mentions vertical ridges as being very common in nails as people get older. It also mentions anemia/iron deficiency as a cause, and, perhaps interestingly for people with ME/CFS, peripheral vascular disease.

It would be interesting to know if people with ME/CFS develop the vertical finger nail ridges while they are still young.

DokaGirl, Mij, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I use cuticle oil to improve the condition of my nails I have ridges that are more noticeable nowadays. Buffing the nails makes them a bit smoother or a clear base coat of polish if either of those is tolerable

10. Mij

Thanks, Hutan. Interesting re vascular disease. The ridges started in my mid 30s, five years after M.E onset. At first I thought it was from malabsorption b/c my ferritin was always tanking and I had to take iron for years. But after meno my ferritin has always stayed in the normal/higher range w/o taking any iron for the last 7 years.

Normally nails and hair share the same health? My hair isn't dry or brittle.

I massage my cuticles every night with jojoba oil which helps give them a smoother appearance but I have to keep them very short.

Hutan, NelliePledge and DokaGirl like this.