1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Huff Post: 'I Sometimes Feel Defeated By My Disability – And That's Okay', 2019, Pippa Stacey

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent article in Huff Post by a woman with ME who was told to exercise, and suffered as a result.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/disability-undefeatable_uk_5d921745e4b0019647ac4b29

Anna H, Oni, MarcNotMark and 26 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't stand this "positive outlook" push for the chronically ill.

I go to an MS therapy centre and about a month ago they got in lots of stuff about a (commercial) programme called "Overcoming MS". The title alone makes me want tp scream. You can't overcome MS!!! It is just a short step from "you can overcome MS" to "you still have MS because you are not working hard enough"

The thing I find upsetting is the step 7 which is how you can prevent your kids getting MS by following the programme steps. So it is no longer a tragedy if your child gets MS as well it is your fault.

The whole programme is just buzz words, vegan diet, exercise, mindfulness and so on.

The NHS is also doing a programme but it is called "Living Well with MS" which is more acceptable but still the risk of blame sneaking in.

My grandson developed type 1 diabetes and was so flooded by how successful you can be with diabetes it began to feel like it was an illness that was just a blip in your life whereas it is important to know how bad things can get as well so you can have a balanced view of the risks and what you can do to minimize them.

Anything else treats us as children who can't handle the truth while putting the blame firmly on the patient.

This post has been copied and some subsequent posts moved or copied to this thread:
    Treating or preventing Multiple Sclerosis with lifestyle changes

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I decided to google it... as I suspected it came back with a wide range of opinions, mainly that since it cant be certain what causes it it cant be 'prevented'... but I also came across this type of thing, which tbh I found rather reassuring that such twaddle was being talked about MS as well as ME https://healingchronicles.com/2013/03/20/yes-ms-is-completely-preventable-heres-how/

From the article
    I cant tell you how angry this sort of shite makes me :banghead: If people would stop pushing such woo it's be a lot easier to avoid anger. These messages are so toxic. Anger is a healthy, normal & positive emotion, it drives change. And repressed anger can make one very unhappy.

Sorry this is all a little off topic, I think the article in the OP is excellent & Pippa Stacey can be well proud of it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  4. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I first got ME I was talking to an acquaintance who told me that he had also had it as a teenager for three years. I mentioned that I was doing my best to remain positive, and he told me "Don't worry if you can't stay positive all the time. Focusing on that aspect can often be just another ball to juggle."

Pretty much the only useful thing anybody has said to me since developing this (present company excluded!)

alktipping, Anna H, Chezboo and 14 others like this.