1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to keep a steady temperature at night in bed?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sasha, Mar 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i actually have the opposite problem, but i'm mentioning it because i wonder if you could use the opposite solution to the one i found....
    all my life i have been chilly before bed (unless the weather was very hot) & prefer my bedroom on the cool side so as not to feel 'hot n stuffy' which i couldn't fall to sleep in. So i would get into bed almost shivering & get snuggled down under a nice thick 13.5tog feather duvet, foetal postion, duvet almost covering my head with just my nose poking out like a cocoon.
    Which was great, but when i became ill i started getting really bad night sweats every night, & tried all kinds of things & nothing helped, my temp just increases as i sleep. So in the end i figured if i was going to get hot during the night I needed to go to sleep with the appropriate amount of covers/clothing for a *hot night, not a cool one.
    So i bought a small electric radiator to put next to the bed & I heat up the room before i get into bed, so that when i lay down i'm already a little hot, - so i don't pull up the duvet & I wear a short sleeved nightie, then before sleep I turn off the radiator & as the room cools it coincides with my body temp rising & i dont wake in a sweat. It's making myself the temperature i'll be after a few hrs sleep, *before* i go to sleep. And i find it really works well.
    It took a week or 2 to get used to not 'snuggling down' but it's only like sleeping in the summer so its fine.....

So i wondered... is there something you could do to intentionally make yourself a bit chilly before bed/sleep, so that you need to wear thicker pjs/bed clothes etc before you actually drop off? Eg a fan, a cool bath, an open window? just something to make your body cooler than usual when getting into bed so that you end up wearing sufficient layers/clothing/bedding for a whole night from the beginning, rather than being a bit too warm when you settle down & cooling off during the night. It's almost like you need to be cold before you start so that you'll have sufficient bedclothes/fleece pjs etc to carry you through the night.
    Dunno, it might not work but it's just an idea :)

Hope you find an answer, waking up cold is miserable - its actually the cold that used to wake me with the sweats - as of course being soaking wet makes one cold

2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Intriguing idea! But even if I go to bed cold, I seem to warm up quickly - and then go to sleep and wake up too cold some hours later.

Trish likes this.
  3. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could install some sensors to measure temperature throughout the night, see how it changes and then work out how to make things more consistent throughout the night perhaps?

There are some materials used in certain mattresses or duvets which claim to remove excess heat, store it then release it back if your body temp drops. No idea if they are any good.

Also, if an electric blanket concerns you because of the risk of fire you might look into getting a water based one. I don't think all of them are full water beds, some might be, but some I think use water in some part of the mattress to move heated or cooled water around to maintain a set temperature. Because the element is enveloped in water it is theoretically safer (lower risk of fire).

Sasha likes this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have heard that lambs wool will.

That sounds majorly unfun! :( :hug:

5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure how old you are, Sasha, but if you are in peri or meno, then a steady temperature is a thing of the past. :(

Sly Saint, Mij, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

That's basically what they're designed to do now. Low voltage, and they automatically shut themselves off if there's any overheating.

7. Sasha

Post-meno, and post-hot-flashes, so I don't think this is related. I'd thought it was a dysautonomia thing. But this is why I want something that reacts to my temperature (if that's what's driving this problem) or to the ambient temperature (if that's the issue).

I left the heating on last night and went to bed in PJs plus two cashmere sweaters plus down bodywarmer and woke up later too hot with a dehydration headache. :ill:

Argh! Just want a solid night's sleep. :arghh:

Allele, Indigophoton and Trish like this.
  8. Sasha

Allele likes this.
  9. JemPD

So when you go to bed cold do you put extra clothing/covers on to compensate? If you do, then that would suggest that no matter how warm your pyjamas are or how thick the covers, you will still wake up cold? yeesh thats a bummer!

10. Sasha

If it's cold weather I pile on extra stuff (even with my bedroom radiator on full, my bedroom doesn't get very warm) and cuddle a hot wheatbag.

11. Sasha

12. JemPD

perhaps wearing enough/different fabrics so you dont need the wheatbag? - so that during the night the conditions are the same as when you go to sleep? Just thinking that the bag will obviously cool through the night so that you are still left with cooler environment after a few hrs.
    What i was suggesting was, for example, if you needed say fleece pjs, a hat, a super thick duvet & 3 blankets to stop you getting cold at (eg) 4am, but you couldnt wear all that at the beginning because it's too hot to fall asleep with..... then the key would be to get cold enough before you get in bed that you need all that to start with. Rather than going to sleep with something that isn't suitable for later in the night, or that cannot be sustained through the night.
    It's trying to make your body the same at bed time as it is in the early hrs & then organising your bedding/clothing accordingly, but only with things that'll be the same later as they are at the beginning.

Only ideas Sasha, apologies if any of that seems patronising, you'll know much better what works for you. I hope you find a solution, the thermo regulating clothing looks a good idea.

Edited for clarity

Sasha likes this.
  13. Sasha

Thanks, @JemPD - not patronising at all, since I hadn't thought properly about the hot wheatbag issue! :banghead:

JemPD likes this.
  14. Sasha

This thermoregulating bedding is interesting but looks like it will need a lot of mugging up. Some of it just seems to have superior wicking properties and other stuff seems to have stuff that leaps into action only when your body temperature deviates from what it should be.

I wish I could find some good technical, independent reviews!

Allele and Trish like this.
  15. Sasha

The really interesting bedding has the stuff made for NASA to keep their astronauts the right temperature.

Outlast is another brand using it but it seems massively expensive to import their products from the US.

Trish likes this.
  16. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My legs ache with cold at night, particularly around 3:00 when our natural body temperature drops. Besides wearing lots of warm stuff, I find an all-night electric underblanket is the solution. It is low voltage, and has given me no trouble for years. Mine has settings 0 to 6, and I find 3 or 4 suits me fine.

My top half is much warmer, but as you know, I don't have much insulation on the top, so that is less of a problem!

Valentijn likes this.
  17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sasha I bought a set of sheets years ago made for NASA. They were basically viscose/rayon and quite expensive. Lower thread count cotton is cooler than the higher ones and would probably work better for regulating your temperature.

I know, it's a real crazy making issue.

Allele and Sasha like this.