1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to check if your N95/FFP3 mask is 'kosher'

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by JemPD, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ETA for anyone more literal/not aware, 'kosher' is an informal way of saying genuine & legitimate

Been looking into this a bit recently. So just thought i'd share what i'd found out. This doesnt mean i am 100% correct, this is just what i've read about the official markings. I'm sorry i dont have the energy & closed most of the sites befoe i thought to post here so dont have many links but at least the info is here if you want to verify.
    This is for 'proper' respirator masks rather than just the cloth/surgical type maks that mainly protect others rather than the wearer.

It goes without saying that manufacturers can just write whatever they want on their masks, same as they can write 'Chanel' on a handbag doesnt mean it's made by Chanel.

However there are standards that they should meet so if they dont even bother to write this stuff on them then i certainly wouldnt trust them!

it should meet EN149:2001

It should also say either FFP3 which as i understand it is equivalent to the US code N99 - ie filters 99% of particulates Or FFP2 -N95 equivalent or KN95 which is the Chinese version.
    It should also have the CE mark - link here about how to check if the CE mark is authentic EU compliance, or just the 'Chinese Export' mark.
    How To Distinguish A Real CE Mark From A Fake Chinese Export Mark – Clever Compliance Support - Compliance system and CE marking information (ce-check.eu)

The CE marks have different numbers after them which are the numbers of the Notified Body (IIRC, 0194 seems to be British, others are in other european countries, eg Netherlands).
    CE 0082, 0194, 0086 & 2797 all seem 'kosher'. With 0086 & 2797 seeming to be specifically for medical PPE.

I dont know what will happen once the new rules come into force after brexit because everything changes, but CE is still good until Dec 2021 as far as i can tell

Somebody gave me some that said KN95 on the box and written on the mask.... and nothing else, no CE mark or anything. I strongly suspect these to be fake Chinese 'knock offs' & will not be using them.

Hope this info is helpful for someone an internet search will provide more detail if needed/wanted

ETA this may also be helpful & seems to indicate that a CE mark with a number is Category III PPE
    Guide to CE Marking Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (cemarkingassociation.co.uk)

Ash, ahimsa, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for this, @JemPD.

It's also good where possible to buy from reputable suppliers rather than sources such as eBay or Amazon, where it's hard to differentiate between people selling genuine and knockoff products. Just in case people aren't aware, there are medical supplies companies in the UK (e.g. Medisave), which will ship to individuals as well as to the NHS and other health & care settings. The unit cost is often less, but overall it may still be a bit more expensive because of flat rate postage. However, it's sometimes possible to offset this by combining orders with friends or relatives.

Ash, ahimsa, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.