1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How Firm Are the Foundations of Mind-Set Theory? The Claims Appear Stronger Than the Evidence (2020) Macnamara et al.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Cheshire, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797619897588?journalCode=pssa

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing.

Would be good to have an overview of findings in psychology that are robust, cause it seems that a lot of what was in the textbooks shouldn't have been in there.

MEMarge, alktipping, Amw66 and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    alktipping, Hutan and DokaGirl like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I love about this is that it's literally The Secret and somehow the people who promote this pretend otherwise, that there is anything more to this.

There's a very strong survivorship bias. It's an ideology created by people who have been successful in their lives and who therefore place their own success on superior innate traits that they think represents them. Roughly the same foundation over how phrenology somehow, by total surprise, found that the morphology traits of superior intelligence happened to be the same ones as the researchers' own particular morphology.

It's basically this but with more flowery language and mathemagics:

[​IMG]

TiredSam, shak8, Cheshire and 6 others like this.
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the mind is and always will be an artificial construct created by the ancient Greeks more than 2400 years ago . because they could not grasp that the meat between our ears could be responsible for all the truly wonderous abilities we have . you would think this ignorance would have died out over time but their is too much money at stake . from carrying on assuming that people with weak minds(mental illness) are responsible for thier chronic health problems . I think this would of ended sooner if the insurance industry had not convinced judges to give them a get out clause for so called mental illnesses .

TiredSam, Cheshire and Trish like this.