1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

House built on old golf course - yes or no ?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Dechi, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@MsUnderstood I think you summed it up well. Waiting for someone to scrape the ice off my car before going out is just not realistic. So I’ll try to do it myself and end up crashing.

In my area there are very few bungalow style townhouses. The ones that were on the market needed a lot of love...

@Allele I am positive it’s impossible to park in front of the house in winter, because snow ploughs have to be able to remove the snow and cars need to stay off the street for that. If you forget your car one day they won’t harass you but parking on the streets in winter is just not permitted in most cities in my province and I suppose Canada in general.

As for the back of the house, the provincial hydro-electric company has facilities on it and needs complete access and does not ask permission for servicing if they need to, so no chance there either. Thanks for the idea though !

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to agree with @MsUnderstood on this one :(
    It sounds like what you need is an apartment that is accessible and with underground or covered parking But that will eat the money you would get from selling your house, not an ideal scenario.

3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you really love this place, what about asking the neighbours if they would be interested in sharing the cost of creating a covering for the whole parking area? They may all be wishing they didn't have to de-ice their cars in winter, and a shared project might be more economical for everyone. Plus in the meantime, you'd get to meet your neighbours, which might be enlightening as well.

4. Dechi

I have made an offer on a house tonight. I won’t talk about it right now because it might not work. I will get the answer tomorrow pm.

More to come, stay tuned ! :)

5. Allele

Fingers crossed for you, Dechi!

6. Dechi

Thanks for the good vibes, my offer was accepted ! :)

I am so happy, this will be a new beginning. It might sound silly but by leaving this house, I am leaving the old me, the overachiever me, the workaholic me. The new me, the me with ME, will have all the latitude to blossom.

My new house is a 2 story house of about 500 square foot. I will have a stairlift installed because climbing stairs gives me major PEM. The main floor has a big living room, small kitchen-dining room and a cute and tiny powder room so I don’t have to go upstairs 20 times a day (very active bladder).

Upstairs there is a medium size master bedroom, 2 smaller bedrooms and a full bathromm. I think I will make it 2 bedrooms and 1 reading room, where I will do my pre-bed routine reading. Right now I spend most of my day on my reclining chair in the living room, so having 2 separate ares besides my bedroom will make it less boring.

Downstairs is a big family room where I will have my music room (even though I hardly ever use it anymore, I don’t have the heart to sell my hifi amp and speakers) and a sofa-bed for my son. He comes in very late at night (or early) and wakes me up, so this will help. Both my son and daughter only come over occasionnally for weekends and holidays, so this will work very well. There is also a storage/laundry room. I do laundry as little as possible, maybe once every 3 weeks, so stairs to the basement are not an issue.

This is where I need all the good vibes and prayers so I sell my house at a good price, and fast ! I move to the new house the first of august, so it needs to sell before that. My house isn’t renovated, so people won’t be fighting to visit.

Next week the new house will be inspected, so this too is an important step. Hopefully everything works out, no bad surprises.

7. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Congratulations on your new house @Dechi! Good luck for a quick and easy sale of your current house, and best wishes for a new start in your new home :balloons:

8. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dechi Congratulations on finding your new home! Let us know when everything is settled and we'll have a :party:.

I wouldn't be concerned about your current home not being renovated. Many people prefer this -- not paying for renovations that aren't exactly of their choosing.

9. Allele

Dechi, thank you for telling us the great news! I'm so, so happy for you, with all the best wishes for smooth, satisfying transactions all around. Truly overjoyed for this next phase in your new nest :party::emoji_hatching_chick::party:

10. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad it worked out :)

11. Dechi

Thanks everyone ! I’ll post a few pics when I’m moved in. Until then, I have a project to keep me busy for the summer...

alktipping, Gingergrrl, Mij and 3 others like this.
  12. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exciting!! I hope everything progresses smoothly.

alktipping, Gingergrrl, Dechi and 3 others like this.
  13. Dechi

Update : my house sold in less than a week ! I had multiple offers and sold over the asking price ! I am over the moon. I never expected this.

I’m happy this part is over because having to clean up and go out of your house for every visit is exhausting. I would drive to a desert parking lot and just wait in my car, lol !

Inara, Alvin, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  14. Allele

Great news, Dechi! I wish you abundant helpers and cheerleaders for the move!

15. Dechi

Thank you ! I’m not taking any chances, I will have movers pack and unpack for me. Then I’ll have friends and family help me with the handy stuff, like installing fixtures.

Alvin, Hutan, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  16. Allele

Oh, so good to hear that. I moved last fall while my helper was away, it was horrible. I did have some help here and there, but even with movers (just to move, not pack) it was a lot to manage. Having the movers pack and unpack is the greatest gift you could give yourself :angel: Wish I had done that.

One thing I can recommend is make sure you have some kind of food available and with you the day of.
    It's so easy to forget that and be starving, while too tired/busy/frazzled to go out or find something to eat on/with.
    Unless you live in an area with delivery, then you're golden. Just plan ahead to stay fed and hydrated.

17. Dechi

@Allele good advice, I’ll plan ahead for food. I have started having my groceries delivered when I’m too tired to go, but it’s still tiring to place the order online.

Better to have something to eat ready. Or maybe I’ll just order pizza to celebrate, even if just by myself !

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last time I moved I had the removal company do all the packing, but not unpacking. It was definitely worth paying them to pack everything for you. On the day of the move I had a couple of friends there to help, but even then I crashed and had to be taken to another friends house to rest while they oversaw the move.

I packed separately the stuff we would need for the first night, like food change of clothes, bedding etc - a bit like packing a case to go away for a weekend, so we didn't have to open every box to find our toothbrushes. Friends gradually helped unpack over the next few days.

The other exhausting bit was going through the list of all the necessary notifications of the move - utilities, businesses you deal with like banks, etc.

Good luck with the move.

19. Dechi

@Trish, thanks ! You’re right about notifications, they can be quite demanding.

Good thing about my moving is it’s only in 2 months, so I have plenty of time to prepare. I’ve already made a list of all notifications and even have 1 done ! I am very relieved I have all this time ahead of me.

Alvin, Hutan, Skycloud and 6 others like this.
  20. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dechi, I totally missed this thread until last night and wanted to add my congratulations on your new house! That is so exciting! Let us know what to bring to your virtual housewarming party... ;)

Alvin, Indigophoton, Dechi and 2 others like this.