1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Horizontal office chair, recliner, laptop stand etc.

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by InfiniteRubix, Mar 25, 2021.

1. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hello all,

Surfacing for some advice (difficult few months).

Chair

Does anyone have any experience of working on a laptop horizontally in a chair? Bed laptop work is really causing me problems (I do have a brilliant laptop table, but the mattress isn't made for point pressure when I sit up).

It is covered under the UK government Access to Work scheme, so cost is thankfully not an issue!

There is only one company I have found that make chairs that recline alot https://www.ergohuman.net, but not much choice otherwise.

I have seen recliner arm chairs, but new ones range from low build quality (and I just don't have the capacity to revisit the topic, let alone explain to my employer that we have to redance the government bureaucracy) to others that are irrelevantly expensive (I don't need electric).

I have even seen a few gamer chairs online that recline, like the Secret Lab, but so many of these are also of dubious quality. Can't afford for it to collapse with me on it or for to become brutally uncomfortable when padding decays.

Laptop stand

The next bit of fun is where to put the laptop. The above link has some kind of laptop arm, but I'm not entirely convinced. I was hoping someone had been using a stand that held the laptop over them while on a recliner or sofa?

Horizontal work place productivity seems a totally neglected topic. And it makes all the difference to ME stamina.

Sean, ahimsa, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  2. InfiniteRubix

Many thanks all :)

3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here’s a set up I used for a while. It’s a padded chair with a foot stool. I added 2 cushions, one square one under me, and then an upright pillow behind me. I sometimes used one of those neck cushions too.
    BE37B492-FC65-48AE-A2A9-ED20A2094A48.jpeg

I now use a more conventional arm chair with support behind my back, and the same foot stool (or I curl my feet under me cos I tend to low blood pressure). And I have one of those bean bag lap trays. I still often use the neck cushion, and yup that’s a little heated blanket over my thighs. A detachable keyboard is really useful. Please ignore the coffee mug stains on the radiator LOL.

48A14F76-F37B-4DD9-B483-FFA3551EA27F.jpeg

Hope that’s a little bit helpful.

4. Keela Too

One comment I will make, is that it is much harder to extract yourself from a reclined position. So honestly if your work are offering to pay a bit more for an electric version that gives you a hand in that direction don’t discount it, especially if it is a better quality and more supportive chair all round.

Wits_End, Forestvon, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  5. Keela Too

Remember support for your arms too, I have used rolled up towels and allsorts to lift my elbows to a height that is comfortable for typing without me having to hold them there.

Looking at those Ergo chairs, I’m not sure they would stay reclined. Some only tilt back when you apply pressure? You’d need to check. Personally I don't think they look that comfortable. :(

6. Keela Too

InfiniteRubix and Trish like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I simply use my laptop on my lap while sitting or lying down.

I doubt that you need any special kind of chair or setup, just a small (14 inch or smaller) laptop with a good enough trackpad so you don't need a mouse.

8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Keela Too

That wasn’t my experience with this one, and I used it daily for at least 3 years. Still have it, but it is used less often now. Perhaps it survived because of the cushions I used on it?

Trish, Yessica, InfiniteRubix and 2 others like this.
  10. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes quite possible my footrest that came with it is still in one piece but it has always been covered.

11. InfiniteRubix

Very helpful indeed, thank you. Complete with action shots! :)

Some chairs, like that ergo one, don't have a hinged recline mechanism, but slide along a half elliptical track, so they slide with your weight. You're right - coming back up does seem scary without power or that mechanism when I'm not at my best....

Good point re arms. Hadn't thought about that....

Those office chairs that are mesh based are among the very most comfortable in workplaces in my experience, despite looking aggressively industrial and not cosy looking at all. But reclining all day? Dunno....

Thank you! I had seen that. My paranoia is build quality. The bureaucratic hell to get anything arranged between employer and the government scheme mean that swapping or changing would just eat my energy :(

I know what you mean, but I've been doing that for a long time and paying for it physically. My lower back suffers when I sit up a bit, due to the mattress expecting distributed weight. And shuffling around cushions is exhausting so I give up and work through the pain.... :(

Cooking one's private parts with a hot laptop or cushioned tray used to be a huge problem(!), but I managed to relieve at least that problem with bamboo table off Amazon that tilts. It's really very good, but my back is killing me. I really do recommend this or other branded identical versions:

Zipom 100% Portable Bamboo Laptop Stand Foldable Desk Notebook Table Laptop Bed Tray Bed Table, Flower Style design, play games on bed Table with Drawer (flower-27.5in)

The table is also good for sitting elsewhere or when I have to eat in bed :(

I too avoided a mouse, but I found that the table gave me space, so I tried. Having both trackpad and mouse solved one of the repetitive strain pain causes (despite me being the king of keyboard shortcuts!). Could just be diversification of movements and optimising naturally i.e. mouse, but trackpad when hands on keyboard.

Just my experience though and I've clearly not found perfection...

Yes, I worry about those two points as well. There are so many beautiful looking chairs nowadays that become painful or crumble after 6-18 months.

I really want to avoid cushions. When I'm too tired, adjusting them becomes more hassle than I can manage :(

alktipping, ahimsa, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  12. InfiniteRubix

Thank you so much for ideas so far :)

Someone very kindly suggested Stressless, a Norwegian brand. They look amazing and they even make laptop arms. Proper lumbar and other support. Very, very pricey, but honestly, disabled or bariatric chairs (for the very obese) can cost way more. Way more. So why should ME be the cheap disability in the workplace where one doesn't get what one needs? Rhetorical question...

13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a Stressless Reno/Vegas, but it sadly does not have the proper lumbar support my body needs. I've never gotten back pain from any other piece of furniture, but I get it from my Stressless :( Make sure to try it before you decide.

alktipping, Wonko and InfiniteRubix like this.
  14. Blueskytoo

Blueskytoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We don’t have a recliner one but I can certainly vouch for the quality of Secret Lab chairs. My husband has one and he’s in it all day (IT consultant and nerd, so not only does he work in it, he does leisure time in it as well. He’s probably in it for 12 hours a day currently!) and it’s the most comfortable and supportive chair he’s ever had, and he’s had a few over the years!

He said it felt a bit firm at first and he wasn’t sure about it but it’s turned out to be amazing. He was getting issues with pressure on the backs of his thighs causing nerve pain and tingling up and down his legs with his old chair, but not with this one. And the build quality is very good - this one is a couple of years old now and still looks and works like new.
    Good luck in your search, I hope you find something suitable.

alktipping, Wonko and InfiniteRubix like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I do all my laptop stuff lying on sloping wedge pillows that support my back really well and raise my head high enough without straining my neck foward to see the screen. I have an over the bed trolley with a middle section with very easily adjustable slope and has a ledge to stop the laptop sliding off. The trolley is on smooth rolling casters.

I use a mouse on the bed beside me so when using the mouse my whole arm is supported. My elbows rest on the sloping pillow and my wrists on the bottom of the laptop so I can type comfortably. Because of the slope, the screen is at a suitable angle for me to read - my eyes look straight ahead at the screen.

I think this sort of system could be adjusted to use with a lay back chair in an office instead of a bed. A couple of examples found on Amazon that might be useful. Mine is similar to the second one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  16. InfiniteRubix

Showrooms and covid.... :((((((

Thank you for highlighting. Keeps in perspective :)

alktipping likes this.
  17. InfiniteRubix

That's really interesting. The Secret Lab ones do recline, but on a hinge, rather than a weight based sliding track. That's my concern. Have you ever tried it reclined?

alktipping likes this.
  18. InfiniteRubix

Ahaaa. Now they look amazing! Thanks. I thinks the desk options are clearer than they were now. Chairs still a pain in the bottom, maybe literally! :)

alktipping and Trish like this.
  19. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found it hard to use a laptop lying down as have to reach forward to use the keys. Got a separate keyboard and mouse but hard to negotiate all three. But am at home in bed not trying to work.

20. InfiniteRubix

IMG_20210326_141603.jpg
    The bamboo table above might help or the ones Trish shared