1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Horizon BBC: Covid, includes 5 minutes on long covid and ME with Dr David Strain, February 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lunarainbows, Feb 25, 2021.

1. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mum watched Horizon today, just now, on BBC two, about long COVID..and told me to listen to one bit on iPlayer. We found it at the 43 minute mark. Sorry I’m not well enough to do a transcript but maybe someone else can. It’s a few minutes long.

It’s an amazing bit of coverage on ME!

there’s a doctor called Dr David Strain, apparently he’s worked on ME before? And he’s on the “BMA Long Covid Task Force”.

He talks about potential problems with the mitochondria and blood vessels in long COVID. That the best advice is to stay within the energy envelope.

& when you get covid.. to actually rest for many weeks, because those who get long covid tend to be those who might have pushed through at the beginning.

and talks about ME and how our illness hasn’t even been recognised as a real disease but now there’s a silver lining in that research might help us. He’s doing research looking at similarities between long COVID and ME and saying treatments that help them.. can help us. And the similarities etc. He was actually really sympathetic to ME patients. It was heartwarming to see. I think I don’t remember coming across this researcher before?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000slmx/horizon-2021-coronavirus-special-what-we-know-now

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. lunarainbows

Missense, sebaaa, alktipping and 18 others like this.
  5. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, there was about 5 minutes' worth on that bit, which I thought was really good given the length of the programme. And this time he didn't accidentally say anything about GET :)

Missense, sebaaa, ahimsa and 11 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a pity that the BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK. I would have been interested in what he had to say. He seems like a very good communicator.

sebaaa, alktipping, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  7. lunarainbows

If you click on that Twitter link that dolphin posted above, there are another two clips in that thread so you can watch it. I think it might be all of it!

ahimsa, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

With so much covered in the programme I think it is a positive that there was a segment on long covid and that MECFS actually mentioned and good points made. I agree with the comments about Dr Strain. Hopefully his contribution will help some lacking in awareness see ME in a different light.

Missense, Anna H, sebaaa and 22 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was a very good program; covered lots of issues about Corona. The segment with Dr Strain was a bonus; glad he came through on his promise to rectify his/the BBCs previous error.

Slight irony that the clip is from @Adam pwme aka Adam @ABrokenBattery
    as Dr Strain started his explanation of Long-Covid saying it was like having a broken battery and you need to keep within your energy envelope ......

Reminds me a bit of someone a few years ago saying they'd discovered this 'new' music called Indie.

Simbindi, Missense, Anna H and 14 others like this.
  10. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought he was talking to me through the TV

Simbindi, Missense, Anna H and 16 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This thread has been moved from members only to a public area with the thread starter's agreement. If you would prefer your post not to be public, you can edit or delete it, or contact moderators for help.

sebaaa, NelliePledge, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  12. Adam pwme

13. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye, sebaaa, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's quite a list of people I would love to present that clip to.

Simbindi, Arnie Pye, sebaaa and 10 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Adam I appreciate you doing the clips. I posted your tweet on my FB and recommended the programme to friends and family
    any general public suitable pieces like this are the best option for trying to increase the level of awareness those around us :thumbup:

Binkie4, Kitty, Simbindi and 9 others like this.
  16. Adam pwme

Thanks Nellie glad you find them useful.

Kitty, Simbindi, Missense and 5 others like this.