1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Holy Grail' discovery could mean 'nobody needs to worry about their MS getting worse' – study

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Continues at:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40027451.html

Early days yet of course.

sebaaa, Sly Saint, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Plioglitazone is Actos. From diabetes.co.uk: after 1 year of use the risk of bladder cancer is increased by 83%. They also say it reduces insulin resistance so the hormone works better.

It does not mention that it changes bone stem cells so they make new fat cells (not usual in adults) which can store more sugar from the blood. This lack of bone stem cells leads to osteoporosis and a high rate of fractures.

A sister drug Avandia was banned after it was found that "the drug worked well except for doubling the risk of death from heart failure"

It was said at the time that the manufacturers of Actos learned a lot from this - they did not do any long term follow up studies!

It may be that the risks of side effects will have to be weighed against the drop in severity of MS but saying "a commonly used diabetes drug" glides over a lot of problems.

I was very disappointed when I discovered what the drug was as I would never take it for my diabetes.

NelliePledge, Yessica, Barry and 8 others like this.
  3. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

they should try a combination with cbt maybe!

Legend and Mithriel like this.