1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Histamine, mast cell tryptase and post-exercise hypotension in healthy and collapsed marathon runners, Parsons et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00421-021-04645-0

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2021
    DokaGirl, ukxmrv, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A possible connection to the horrible heat-induced orthostatic intolerance I get for a few weeks in the beginning of the hot summer.

3. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mast cell "issues" are often considered as overlapping in Dysautonomia/POTS clinics. There's a sensible reluctance to call it MCAS and read into it too much as proponents of that can do, but there's definitely an awareness there can be an impact on cardiovascular symptoms at least.

In my experience this lead to some empirical treatment with H1 and H2 anti-histamines, anti-leukotrienes & sodium cromoglicate.

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had really bad POTS and dysautonimia a few years back when the weather was really hot. I was surprised when it eased up as the weather became cooler.

The next year's hot weather made it worse again but I went to great lengths to keep cool and that has kept it from being so bad again.

Yessica and Andy like this.
  5. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am awaiting an appointment at a dysautonomia clinic for severe OI after also developing mast cell issues ( variously called mast cell irritability and MCAS), and it has just been recommended that I take sodium cromoglicate to add to antihistamines in order to better stabilise the mast cells.
    Am pretty new to all this but is there a suggestion that unstabilised mast cells can contribute to dysautonomia?

Yessica and Invisible Woman like this.