1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrick Vogt: "intense negativity spread by individuals/CFS groups/researchers" partly to blame for family's suicide

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A Norwegian medical doctor Henrik Vogt (with a biopsychosocial approach to ME) has tweeted possibly the meanest display of points scoring that I've come across.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/955053958208413696

(In case he deletes it, attached file is a screen shot of the tweet)

The text is "CFS/ME: Swedish couple lost hope, kill their children, committ suicide. Why? In part because of the intense negativity spread by individuals/CFS groups/researchers, saying cause is bodily defect and nothing can be done. False. The children could get well!"

He could have expressed his regret that a tragedy has happened, and pledged to educate more people in the value of his magic treatments - instead, he uses such a terrible event to try to score points against patients and their supporters. Such a lack of empathy it's breathtaking.

ETA: As @Kalliope points out below, at time of posting, our old friends Michael Sharpe and Live Landmark liked the tweet, with Live Landmark retweeting it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Hutan, Lisa108, ladycatlover and 42 others like this.
  2. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely appalling opportunistic coopting of a genuine tragedy.
    He should be ashamed of himself.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disgusting - I am assuming that he can't be reported, to any effect, for such statements?

4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The tweet is "liked" by prof. Michael Sharpe and an LP-coach.

Hutan, Lisa108, ladycatlover and 29 others like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

Is he a fucking ignoramus, does he know how many people have been sick for decades and ended up taking their own lifes because of the prejudice, blame, utter contempt and incompetence of BPS doctors whose treatments DO NOT work.

Lisa108, wdb, ladycatlover and 28 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If Sharpe liked it, he may believe it to be some obscure, unrecognised, literary allusion. It is strange that the medical provision is exempt from blame.

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a disgusting human being.

8. large donner

large donner Guest

Sick fucks that's all one can say.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So now we know. Dr Michael Sharpe is not just a borderline psychopath and sociopath. He feeds off patients' misery.

Who exactly is doing the harassment here? Who is vilifying? Who is chasing people away from research? Who has a total lack of understanding of human emotions?

10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I never thought the depths a member of the BPS brigade could stoop to would leave me speechless. Congratulations Mr Vogt, you've done it. I have absolutely nothing to say.

12. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This tweet is horribly cruel! On every level.

13. Allele

Google does a terrible job translating the article.
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/gP0jP5/sa-levde-bjarred-familjen-fore-morden
    Reading between the lines it seems they might have been having trouble with the school accommodating their two daughters' needs? Hard to tell.

If there are any Scandinavian friends who would like to translate, that would be most appreciated. I'd also like to know if this is the Swedish equivalent of the Daily Mail or something more reliable? I could see few other references to the story on a brief DDG search, and most of them led back to this article.

14. Jonathan Edwards

It seems remarkable that people with as little insight as this can even provide help for patients with psychiatric illness.

Hutan, Lisa108, ladycatlover and 32 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He teams up with LP coaches. This is probably about money. The recovery network he is involved in apparently popped out of nowhere shortly after new Norwegian law forbidding promotion of unproven treatments for a variety of conditions came into effect (CFS was specifically mentioned). This recovery network is used to promote LP, and probably exists for this purpose. Maybe he is just really clueless and genuinely thinks that patients are being helped.

16. Jonathan Edwards

I don't think these people are clueless.

I sometimes wonder what genuinely thinking means for people like this. Maybe I am a bit naive.

17. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I barely have the heart to translate the article.

Looked like the school did what it could to accommodate the children, but my swedish reading comprehension isn't exactly the best.

This article on the matter is better written

https://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/familjens-liv-i-villan-fore-barnmorden/

Terrible tragedy

18. Allele

Medical bigotry is no more acceptable than other bigotry just bc it's medical.
    This disgusting display is no different than slut-shaming a sexual assault victim or any other kind of bigoted slur.

In fact it is worse because he is trying to shift blame from the real source of such tragic desperation to make himself look good.

This parasitic entity needs to be publicly called out for his hatefulness the way Weinstein has been for his.

Hutan, Lisa108, ladycatlover and 21 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

So what is Norwegian for total arse

20. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)