1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help ! Hypoglycemia coming back with a vengeance

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Dechi, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! This doesn't make any sense to me, since you need food.

When I was going through perimenopause, my hypoglycemia was much worse. I sometimes woke in the morning with very low blood sugar. I would stumble to the kitchen, grab a slice of bread, lay down on the floor, and try to eat. Because of the nausea, I had to eat very slowly and would sometimes almost gag when I swallowed.

Dechi and MeSci like this.
  2. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. A common problem I had was very acute nausea & vomiting in the mornings, reliably brought on if I consumed fluids (a cup of tea or taking pills) on an empty stomach. I'd have to do the same and force down something dry at the same time as trying very hard not to vomit. Once there was something solid in my stomach it would go. Its interesting to see Prof Aziz mentions this in relation to overnight dehydration too.

MeSci, Little Bluestem and Dechi like this.
  3. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're welcome, glad it helped. Thanks for the link.

I know what you mean about the digestion problems, it can be infuriating. Some days I'll be really pleased about managing to eat an evening meal without bloating and pain, only to find when I have a drink of water 1hr later everything suddenly goes crazy. I have a very strong will and have no problem very significantly restricting/regimenting my diet, but it doesn't always help because the unpredictability is a real issue.

It might be some time before I get to see him, but I'll report back if anything new comes up. I think if dietary & standard POTS interventions (hydration, midodrine, mestinon etc.) fail to improve the GI issues there are some alternatives. I know of a few people that receive Octreotide with good results. Aside from that there is elemental nutrition, feeding lines...that sort of thing. Usually reserved for the very significantly affected, often EDS diagnosed patients.

I don't know where you are based but if you are in the UK there are an excellent group of doctors in London (Prof Aziz included) that 'get' this constellation of problems and treat accordingly. Let me know if you want any details - my problems were put down to just ME/CFS for so long and only now after teasing out other diagnoses have I seen some improvement. If you have POTS & suspected GI dysmotility the next port of call should probably be a hypermobility assessment. As a patient looking for understanding & treatment, having POTS/HSD/EDS/MCAS diagnosis is much better than just ME/CFS.

MeSci, Ravn and Dechi like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a lot of nausea and vomiting in what I think of as Year 2, which I thought might be due to poor diet or too much alcohol or drugs (legal and otherwise). But maybe it wasn't. I discuss it here: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...-notes-including-suicide-attempt-1995-6.2099/ (Warning: contains details of suicide attempt)

Ryan31337 and Dechi like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NZ. So London a teensy bit impractical. Also live way out in the wop wops with even basic medical care at quite a distance. Nearest I'll ever get to having my hypos sorted is the HbA1c and a fasting glucose (both fine) and the 'helpful' advice to eat something if I'm feeling woozy. Let's just say not every doctor 'gets' our problems. Hence I'm keen for any information I can glean from other sources. Like from you for example ;) Keep us up to date.