1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthcare workers during corona want better work conditions, not psychological help

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Midnattsol, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

A bit related to the pyschologization of symptoms in disease. Health care workers during the pandemic have been offered to talk to psychologist, but most actually wanted better work conditions (data collected between january and april, mostly in China).

https://translate.google.com/transl...beidere-onsket-ikke-psykolog-under-pandemien/

Made me think of how patients say they don't need a psychologist, but could need help with making daily living easier.

Webdog, Samuel, rainy and 27 others like this.
  2. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Damn, that must be infuriating.

rainy, Chezboo, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me also of the current fashion of offering resilience training in companies where there are poor work relationships. Instead of sorting out the bullies, they supposedly help the bullies' victims to cope better with being bullied.

4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's gaslighting pure and simple.

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, a friend of mine said that any company that makes a big deal out of perks to supposedly help wellbeing, is probably an unpleasant place to work. They think that offering free mindfulness courses and whatnot makes up for being nasty to employees.

6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Frustrating :(

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll just add that to my "most 'mental health' issues are actually socioeconomic problems" file.

It's a very thick file. So thick it's close to collapsing into a singularity.

8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope that the nurses' union continues to say this loud and clear.

And that other groups infested with this blight follow their lead. It's cruel and inhumane to treat people like disposable economic units and then offer them wellness chats to get through the abuse.

This kind of treatment is the exact opposite of normal. And again places the mental wellness coach (or whatever given designation) as the hero of their own story. It doesn't have to be this way.

9. James Morris-Lent

I wonder how many psychotherapists become disillusioned and quit, at least when deployed in such a blatantly stupid manner. I mean, if you have any sense at all, no matter how gung-ho you start out it can't take too many sessions of talking with overworked covid doctors or schizophrenia patients or whatever to realize that what you are are engaged in is a tragic exercise.

I guess the hope is that things will improve because more people will see the sort of thing that has been going on because it's no longer subtle at all. Psychotherapy, broadly conceived, is grossly overplaying its hand in so many domains; and health systems, insurers, corporations, etc. are employing it so nakedly as a band-aid for actual constructive actions and resources.

alktipping, Yessica, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  10. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We seem to be entering a stage of civilization where the only goal is the elevation and preservation of Me. A profession becomes a ticket, a professional to client transaction becomes a feeding occasion. It’s not confined to us and our disease, it’s not confined to medicine, it’s not at all confined to the sciences and their application. Here in the US, riots are considered a legitimate campaigning tool, even one to be praised.
    There is something larger going on, I can’t quite name it.

Edit: corrected missing 1st ‘not’.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Education does this too.

12. James Morris-Lent

Don't remind me. I'm only 28 and not savoring these prospects.

alktipping, Yessica and MEMarge like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel sorry for young folk in these times and worry for my family. I can only bear everything because of my age.

14. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that there will be people in these jobs who are better than being willing to be used this way. The sad part of that of course is like in other areas this means that the good people leave. And people who could still learn and develop better skills stagnate in the scummy morass of ill conceived eminent ideology. Usually this has the effect of grinding the person down even as they become hostage to the everything positive (cheer-leading) mentality.

And I do think that things will change. The question is always how long it will take (longer than we hope) and at what cost (the ideologues are not going down easy).

There does need to be more media attention given to this theme and expanded on. People need to be able to imagine an alternative.

15. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome to Interesting Times! Brought to you by the Boomers.
    (not exclusively by them)

rvallee, Trish and James Morris-Lent like this.
  16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly it is not a generation thing. The mess of the world is because of people with power wanting more money and power, they were always there and always will be. It's the same mentality that lets BPS ideas be used for short term gain despite it causing suffering for us.

The boomer generation built on the work of previous generations to bring in equal pay for women and women's rights, civil right changes in the US, Friends of the Earth and conservation efforts, and made the first warnings of man made climate change.

Working against powerful interests has been like the ME fight, walking through syrup but making small gains.

I hope there is progress for ME in my lifetime.