1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone had any relief from vision issues. Laptop use currently hurting my brain!

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by InitialConditions, Dec 4, 2018.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The neuro symptoms that started last year are still driving me nuts.

The vision issues I've been having (floaters, after-images, problems focusing) are there almost all the time.

But things get much worse when I'm on the computer. I think my brain is just struggling to take in all the information and the different patterns presented by a page of text and images.

Scrolling a page makes my brain hurt - I guess it's the constant refocusing. In fact my brain is doing this weird thing where I momentarily feel spaced out and dizzy if my brain expects me to scroll up and down on a page, EVEN IF I DON'T! This is hard to describe, but essentially I have a macbook and occasionally when I go to swipe up/down, I miss the trackpad and so the page stays stationary. However, my brain is expecting the page to move, and this causes a very brief feeling of dizziness or spaced out feeling. It's bizzare. I guess my brain is just scrambling the messages from fingers and eyes.

Has anyone had relief from these sorts of problems? Medication / supplements, etc

Forbin, Trish and AliceLily like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get floaters from too much caffeine. If I look in the mirror, I can also see little rainbows or grease marks on my eyes that match up with the floaters. This is supposed to be normal, but goes if I stop drinking tea.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    InitialConditions likes this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some people find night-time viewing to be easier on their eyes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027563/windows-10-set-your-display-for-night-time

For some reason I found looking down at portable devices with moving images could trigger problems with dizziness, etc. I don't know why, and the only way I've found to improve it is to use them less and have them at a greater distance/higher up. I don't have any problems now that I've adopted this aversive behaviour, but it was a bit odd.

4. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you tried turning on night shift to reduce the blue light from the display? I find that helps me a little when my eyes are tired

5. InitialConditions

Thanks for suggestions. I have used flux in the past and my laptop automatically adjusts the light depending on the time of day. This isn't just a laptop thing - it's there all the time. Just worse when trying to work at a computer. *screams*

Trish and Esther12 like this.
  6. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@InitialConditions When I joined the forums years ago I deteriorated and could hardly put a sentence together. If I want to post in a thread that requires a lot more thought I won't read all the posts beforehand. If I did I would be too mentally exhausted to get my thoughts together.

Scrolling flares things up for me too. I get vertigo easily and as soon as I feel the signs I have to take a break and close my eyes. I also find it hard to read right across a page so have to skip long posts most of the time and fast moving threads I can't keep up with or join in.

Squeezy and InitialConditions like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried the different colour themes set up on the forum. You can find them at the bottom of the page in the blue strip - click where it says default style.
    I also find it better if I expand the print size using Control + so there are fewer lines on the screen at a time and fewer words per line as well as bigger print size.

Another possibility is treatment for vertigo/dizziness. I find travel sickness medication can help when I get that sort of symptoms.

Good luck. It's a horrible feeling. I find my focus goes and I get dizzy looking at screens when I'm crashed.

8. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get these symptoms to some extent all the time but they get worse as I feel worse, quite often I just can’t use the computer because the motion makes me feel nauseas. Ive never tried medication for it as it comes and goes.

The only things I can suggest are playing with accessibility settings on your computer, some colours are easier than others for me. White text on a black background is a killer for my eyes but helps some people. Using a mouse with a notched scroll wheel can be easier compared to the super smooth scroll from a track pad for me sometimes.

It’s a horrible set of symptoms, some of the worst and most disabling symptoms for me actually so I hope you manage to find something that helps you.

InitialConditions, Squeezy and Trish like this.
  9. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blurring and problems focusing. Gets worse along with my other symptoms when overexerting and PEM builds. I have to stare much harder at computer and be closer.

Trish likes this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think you're right and that your eyes are moving in anticipation of the screen scrolling. If you have dizziness/vestibular problems, trying to visually track objects can make you feel dizzy. When my dizziness was at its worst, I'd momentarily feel dizzy just from watching a car move across a 19" TV screen - that was 15 feet away. It was like a micro-burst of dizziness that was irritating as hell. Even if there's no motion to track, you might get this effect by moving your eyes in anticipation of tracking motion.

For me, this is something that improved over time (perhaps the brain adapts to it). I hope you see improvement too.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. InitialConditions

Yep, I think we have experienced the same thing!