1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gut Neuroinflammation Connection Revealed

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Daisymay, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://simmaronresearch.com/2019/01/gut-cure-neuroinflammation-m-s-mecfs-inquiry/

Gut Neuroinflammation Connection Revealed

“There is something very critical about how the gut and brain are connected, and we’re starting to unravel the molecular threads behind that clinical observation. It’s a great example of how fast science can move.” Jen Gommerman – co-author

"The really exciting thing about this study is its potential relatability to other diseases. These researchers appeared to have stumbled upon a basic gut induced anti-inflammatory pathway that may help with other neuroinflammatory diseases including, who knows, perhaps ME/CFS and FM."

2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's not like other sections of the medical community haven't been talking about this for decades already and you're just cottoning on and patting yourself on the back like you've suddenly pulled this idea out of your ass.

If this is fast science then thank god we don't have slow science!

3. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, there exist papers about the communication of immune cells (e.g. mast cells) and neurons in the gut (e.g. of the vagus nerve); there's also a newer finding of a connection between toxins that wander from the stomach via the vagus nerve to brain and Parkinson's. My impression is there's not plenty of it, and what exists are animal experiments. So there's still lots to find.

4. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @hixxy for making me laugh... I hardly ever laugh these days but you and your emojis made me giggle!!