1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gulf War Illness - causes

Discussion in 'Gulf War Illness' started by Suffolkres, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Gulf-War-syndrome-not...
    Gulf War syndrome which left 250,000 veterans suffering long-term
    fatigue and dizziness was caused by exposure to a NERVE AGENT – and
    not debris from depleted uranium munitions, study claims
    -Gulf War Syndrome has been recorded in thousands of armed forces personnel
    -A quarter of a million Gulf War veterans suffer from the mysterious condition
    -It can cause fatigue, headaches, joint pain, indigestion, insomnia
    and dizziness
    -It was long thought to be caused by exposure to debris from depleted uranium
    -Now it is thought to be caused by exposure to sarin gas when Iraqi
    weapons cache was destroyed in January 1991

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

direct link:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...-caused-depleted-uranium-munitions-study.html
    eta:
    "Scientists believe the root cause appears to be down to neurological impairment"

3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought one of the proposed causes of GWI had to do with the multiple vaccines and anti-nerve agents that the soldiers were given.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doubtful we'll really know for sure, as whatever was given to the soldiers is classified and by the time it's declassified, it will be too late to research the subjects.

I'm not sure about the Sarin. It's far too many people affected, it could not have possibly spread enough to affect so many people without acutely affecting those closest to the source. There sure weren't hundreds of thousands of soldiers hanging around weapons depots being blown up. The DU was always a weird thing, it's not as if we don't already have a lot of research on radioactive poisoning.

5. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have an airman friend who suffered GWS, and she wasn't even part of the Gulf War. It was from the anthrax vaccine, but the burning trash pits in Afghanistan, and working with JP8 fuel and hydrazine day in and out probably didn't do wonders for her health either. Wonder how many cases of anthrax that vaccine actually prevented, because I have the feeling it might've been one of the worst cost-benefit disasters in medical history.
    I wonder how much ME and GWS actually differ at all, because we're not different in terms in symptomology. NADH supplements help her, though, while they do nothing for me...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can remember one successful legal action to retain pension provision by a Scottish soldier who got GWI without going to the gulf. It was successfully argued to be due to the vaccination protocol.

Multiple vaccinations in a short time period. Vaccine brought in from elsewhere ( suggestions of use of products unlicensed here due to supply issues ).
    Mention of squalene (?)

Like most things it will be a combination of external.and internal factors.

The bombing of the coca cola factory , burning oil and chemical soup used on clothes etc and high levels of stress don't really sound a wonderful combo for health without depleted uranium .

7. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'While the exposure to sarin gas from the Iraqi enemy most likely is to blame for the Gulf War Syndrome, the researchers also say the liberal use of pesticides as insect repellent may also have been an 'own goal' and compounded the damage from sarin gas and contributed to the prevalence of the condition.

DEET and permethrin were liberally given to soldiers to fend off swarms of mosquitoes causing a malaria outbreak at the time ' (My emphasis) -

GWS is not dissimilar to symptoms in ME (ref; Professor Malcolm Hooper Overlapping Syndromes) GWV advisor Myalgic encephalomyelitis: a review with emphasis on key findings in biomedical research https://jcp.bmj.com/content/60/5/466

So the following is very useful and interesting to listen to. https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/podcast/episode-27-with-zach-bush/ * References human exposure from air, water Soil, food etc- below

It follows my particular interest & experiences from coping with 2 family members - for 40 yrs with ME allergy, insensitivities;
    I accords with Robert Naviaux paper which I sent to Baroness Finlay ( Vice chair of ME NICE Review) for the debate on the Agriculture Bill and from which she quoted in her debate.

We are all, both urban and rural, living in a chemical soup and cocktail effects will follow. Chronic long term conditions like ME will ensue.

& living for 45 years right next to sprayed fields ( 8 feet) and also explains the chronicity of conditions which are associated to exposure to these products. (agricultural)
    & also domestic; fly sprays, permethrin etc like Johnson's Raid which acutely poisoned my son in 2001,
    pet flea sprays once contained OP's ( Nuvan Top),
    head lice treatments
    & wood treatments used in the 1970/1980's like lindane, know to cause liver damage and other problems and now banned.

'In this week’s podcast, Patrick Holden speaks to Dr Zach Bush – the internationally renowned, multi-disciplinary physician, founder of Farmers’ Footprint. Together, they discuss the intricate intersections between the microbiome, nutrition and chronic diseases, highlighting the devastating impact of chemical herbicides and pesticides on both soil and human health.

Zach begins by outlining the context of his research, to illustrate how he first came to untangle some of these complex correlations. He explains that the early stages of his medical career in the 1990s coincided with an unprecedented rise in chronic diseases across the US. At the same time Zach witnessed a major breakthrough in genetics which challenged the old scientific orthodoxy which considered the human cell as the epicentre of our health and immunity. The new knowledge suggested that, instead, we should be focusing on the microbiome, the communities of bacteria, viruses and fungi that populate our cells. Furthermore, the study of epigenetics reveals that the microbiome is highly susceptible to its external environment, which would in turn suggest that factors such as nutrition and agriculture have a major impact on human health. '
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested;

This important update was posted to the petition last night at https://tinyurl.com/s6b3aalj so some of you may have already seen it from there but am sending here also.
    I have also attached for information and reference the full detailed briefing referred to in the below.

Ariel, Invisible Woman, Mij and 2 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Byron Hyde:

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can someone summarize what Wessely's position on GWI was or is? I read a paper from around 20 years ago when he seemed skeptical but has he pronounced on it since then or has he skipped away from past arguments?

10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wessely did an important study where he showed that employment in the Gulf War was associated with increased health complaints that weren't seen in the Bosnia conflict or those military men serving during the Gulf War but not deployed there. It was reported in the Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(98)11338-7/fulltext

There was however no distinct clinical pattern that stood out. Patients with Gulf War Illness reported all sort of symptoms more often.
    I suspect Wessely thought it was similar to CFS and other functional somatic symptoms and that the syndrome was mostly the result of psychosocial factors.

11. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a digression: the winter before the pandemic I met a woman in Florida who lived in New York during 9/11, and she was near the buildings which were hit, very near. Her apartment was literally a block away. She became very ill, with what resembles CFS/ME to my eyes. She told me that the government is not really paying too much attention to people like her and she told me there were thousands of them. She said the air was so toxic after the attack, and this lasted for a long time.They have tried to organise to get financial help for their medical problems. She told me that she was in Florida to get nutritional IVs, and various other things from an alternative doctor. She worked in some business corporation before the attack. It was a dreadful story, and I spoke with her every day for about two weeks. I watched and she literally walked like a 90 year old and was about 45. She told me she had fatigue and became sick when she tried to exert. I mention this because the topic here is the Gulf war.

12. Sphyrna

You'll be elated to know that our old friend Simon Wessely had already solved that particular mystery. https://www.spiked-online.com/2002/05/23/world-trade-centre-syndrome/

13. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarin is a whole lot more likely as an explanation. The items you mention have a reasonable degree of testing to achieve safety, well siren had an extensive amount of testing to achieve lethality

Edit: It’s very possible that the stuff given to soldiers heading for the golf war didn’t go through the same level of safety testing as what is approved for the general public.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Peter Trewhitt and Forbin like this.
  14. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depleted with uranium is not radioactive. The radioactive isotopes are what is depleted.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  15. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They were also concerned about anthrax.

Peter Trewhitt and Sphyrna like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. I'd never seen this. The reports of people who were at or near Ground Zero that day and for periods afterwards and had and still have ongoing respiratory and other issues are not some made-up thing. Now if someone wasn't in the area and was claiming long-term symptoms, that's different.

17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.s4me.info/threads/why-doesn’t-me-cfs-show-up-on-tests-why-has-it-been-vulnerable-to-wessley-et-al-in-a-way-alzheimer’s-etc-hasn’t-been.18468/#post-315273

eta:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/prof-...-life-scientific-bbc-radio-4-14-feb-2017.991/

18. Sphyrna

I can certainly confirm that Cipro is more than sufficient to send you on a one-way-trip to CFS city. From another source, I read that the military handed out Cipro at a dosage 500mg b.i.d. for 40 days for Anthrax prophylaxis. I took the same dosage for half the duration, on two different occasions (doesn't matter much; the damage is cumulative), but I'm probably like six stone lighter than your average Marine, and medics generally do not take such trifles as sex and weight into account in their prescription calculus. It's difficult to find official information on the subject, likely because no one could be assed to actually investigate any of this until 2016, when the FDA updated the black box warning to reflect that the medication can cause multisystemic damage, three years after that militarytimes articles was released. Until then, it was all just about connective tissue damages that supposedly only are more common in people over 60. I was 16, and I got the whole bloody package. Spent an entire year on crutches, which the medics interpreted as some weird form of conversion disorder. Ironically, I took it the same the year the FDA updated their warning, but Germany needed three more years to follow up on that one either way.

Also, none of the class-action lawsuits ever ended up amounting to anything, unless you had aortic rupture provably related to this medication. Most people for whom it got this far probably simply died of the complications anyway. Convenient, no? It's also trivially easy to play off the nonspecific complications as unrelated to the medication, since they can be quite delayed by several months (2 in my case.) And since no biomarkers exist, you can just attribute the mental disturbances to new-onset mental illness, and the tendon+cartilage issues to senescence in old people, or stuff like physical work. Easy to do in the Marines, where everyone's part of stuff like loaded marches! I guess for these reasons, no valid safety data on FQAD will ever exist, because the side effects can never be appropriately reported. At any rate, I could certainly believe that Cipro was a common, even if not the only, cause of GWS.
    But hey, at least the US air force is nice enough to let their air crew know nowadays what they might be in for when they take it.
    upload_2021-2-23_12-19-51.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Hutan, Perrier, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  19. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this is possible, then it must be why my daughter came down with this hell; she came down with ME 2 months after stopping cipro (and flagyl) for clostridium difficile. She had for a few days what she said felt like a flu, and then called me and said she was unable to stand up, unable to rise out of bed. \\

And what now?? She has been very sick for a long time now. What now?

20. Sphyrna

Ciprofloxacin administration is explicitly one of the major risk factor for opportunistic C. difficile infection, so this does sound a little unnecessary to me?
    Unfortunately I haven't found a solution (if there are any, they're most likely going to be highly individualized, by merit of how FQ antibiotics cause damage), but it does make me wonder what exactly that antibiotic nuke did to her gut flora. I have nowhere enough medical knowledge to issue any specific recommendations, though.

Oh, I just read that your daughter had been taking Cipro for 3.5 months. So not only did she take a potentially neurotoxic medication for much longer than indicated, but also for an infection for which it is likely to be ineffective. I'd... do things to her doctor if I got my hands on him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021