1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian: "DIY faecal transplants carry risks including HIV and hepatitis, warn experts"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.theguardian.com/science...isks-including-hiv-and-hepatitis-warn-experts

2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well yeah ....fairly obvious if biology has decided to excrete it ...it's probably not a good idea to play around putting it back in the body.

Sometimes it feels like the world has gone a bit mad and there is no boundary to the level of stupid out there.

" Self hack" Reads to me "Prat tip" (I toned that down)

time for a magic beans thread I think ?

3. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Or unmagical coffee beans

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Parkinsons indeed, terrible disease, and the protein believed to clump and kill brain cells has been proven able to travel from the gut to the brain. How that affects the disease, if it initiates or maintains it is unknown so far, it may even be coincidental but then again it may be the cause, we don't know yet.

Rabbit likes this.
  5. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

6. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So no more stalking public restrooms for left-overs for me?

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@MErmaid

Your picture of the bugs and beasties is painful for me to look at. :wtf:

Two possible solutions for me : :astronaut: :facepalm:

MErmaid likes this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This just suggests to me that more and more people are being ignored or sent away with anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety medications. The doctor often makes no attempt to diagnose the patient, isn't interested in symptoms, and doesn't examine the patient. I wouldn't be at all surprised if desperation is the biggest medical problem in the UK with the numbers of desperate patients growing all the time.

But many doctors pretend they don't understand desperation. For example - imagine a patient has a serious health problem that the doctor doesn't believe in or dismisses. They may do a basic blood test e.g. a Full Blood Count. Next time the doctor sees the patient they say "Good news, Mrs X!" (sometimes in a relentlessly cheerful tone of voice) "Your blood test results are all normal!" And if Mrs X is disappointed that she won't get any treatment for the problem she has (and shows it) the doctor gets annoyed, and mentally classifies the patient as an ungrateful hypochondriac. And after the patient has left the room they probably write that in the patient's notes.

I have hypothyroidism. It's very common. On the thyroid forum I frequent I often read of patients who are told by GPs and endocrinologists that their symptoms are irrelevant, it's their TSH that counts, nothing else. And so the numbers of people using the forum grows and grows and grows, with more and more patients asking where they can buy thyroid meds of various kinds so they can treat themselves. So the fact that people take risks with faecal transplants doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Nor do I expect the numbers doing it to reduce any time soon.

Edit : Grammar

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018