1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Google bans advertising for speculative and experimental medical treatments

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by wdb, Sep 8, 2019.

1. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if this will impact some of the treatments marketed to treat ME/CFS..

A new policy on advertising for speculative and experimental medical treatments

September 6, 2019

Today, we’re announcing a new Healthcare and medicines policy to prohibit advertising for unproven or experimental medical techniques such as most stem cell therapy, cellular (non-stem) therapy, and gene therapy. This new policy will prohibit ads selling treatments that have no established biomedical or scientific basis. The new policy also includes treatments that are rooted in basic scientific findings and preliminary clinical experience, but currently have insufficient formal clinical testing to justify widespread clinical use.

We know that important medical discoveries often start as unproven ideas -- and we believe that monitored, regulated clinical trials are the most reliable way to test and prove important medical advances. At the same time, we have seen a rise in bad actors attempting to take advantage of individuals by offering untested, deceptive treatments. Often times, these treatments can lead to dangerous health outcomes and we feel they have no place on our platforms.

Experts in this field support such restrictions. The International Society for Stem Cell Research President Deepak Srivastava says, “Google’s new policy banning advertising for speculative medicines is a much-needed and welcome step to curb the marketing of unscrupulous medical products such as unproven stem cell therapies. While stem cells have great potential to help us understand and treat a wide range of diseases, most stem cell interventions remain experimental and should only be offered to patients through well-regulated clinical trials. The premature marketing and commercialization of unproven stem cell products threatens public health, their confidence in biomedical research, and undermines the development of legitimate new therapies.”

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LP is not using Google for advertising it seems.

Sarah94 likes this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have classified Google itself as a bad actor. I've stopped using it. I use DuckDuckGo instead.

4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Go a step further and ban YouTube videos that are little more than ads for speculative medical treatments.

Aroa, ladycatlover, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Can you give an example of what you are referring to?

ladycatlover, wdb and Annamaria like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can think of videos produced by subcontracted Health Authorities showcasing 'Body Psychotherapy' and graded exercise?

7. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just searching YouTube for things like "CFS cure" is honestly not nearly as bad as I was expecting, makes me wonder if they already have trained the algorithm to not surface so much of the stuff like you describe.

Webdog and ladycatlover like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Wow... I'm speechless!

9. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Homeopathy is not mentioned ...

10. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like they are focusing on unevidenced biomedical treatments, not psychotherapy, physiotherapy, rehabilitative treatments or 'alternative medicine'.

11. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to hear. I was also thinking about the numerous Lightning Process "recovery" YouTube videos, of which there is apparently no shortage.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Annamaria, wdb, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.