1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good nutrition when energy is very low

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Kitty, May 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can now buy lots of dark chocolate bars that are very low in sugar. Sounds like a win to me.

Yvonne and shak8 like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find if it's decent quality dark chocolate I am happier with a much smaller amount of it.

When I look at the portion sizes that work best it seems to work out at about 120 calories or so a portion.

Sometimes, especially if I haven't had any protein, I have been tempted to have a bit more and given in. Then I don't feel at all well. So I find it best to break off a portion and put the rest away. If I still really want some in 10 minutes I can have another bit.

3. Invisible Woman

When it comes to spices and condiments I found it interesting that some do help with digestion.

I love cheese and used to eat it a lot. Unfortunately, I seem to struggle digesting fats and, even before ME, would get tiny hard white lumps on my face when I ate too much cheese too often.

Since ME and digestion difficulties started have a little mustard or a tiny amount of pickles (that I used to loathe) along with a small amount of cheese makes all the difference. Even so it's a rare treat.

4. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find that quinoa flakes and teff flakes (both available online) are really useful for a fairly instant meal as they don't need cooking. If you have a kettle of hot water handy they can be stirred into a bowl with just hot water or a bit of cold milk added. So... like an instant porridge and both are gluten free if you are GF as I am.

To that can be added many things for improving taste...banana, chocolate (this will melt with the heat and make a nice choccy porridge), yogurt, depending on energy to sort out or not. On the few occasions I travel I have taken them with me for the times when I need some food but don't want to go out anywhere. I have lots of food intolerances but I find this quite OK for my stomach.

5. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve recently started being able to eat oats again (was suddenly intolerant one day, a few years ago, now I tried again and I’m suddenly not). I’m beyond happy! I adore oats. Nothing more comforting to me than a hot bowl of ready brek with maple syrup. :) :) filling, easy to eat, don’t make me feel sick and apparently easy to make - think it’s instant oats. I’ve been having it every day now for the past few days. I had it with banana and maple syrup and that was also nice. I will try caramel with it next.

bobbler, Yvonne, Wits_End and 10 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can make " overnight quinoa " using the flakes as you would oats.
    Dosnt need cooking and can add whatever flavourings you like.

Simplest recipe I could find
    https://thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/overnight-quinoa/

If you can tolerate chia seeds you could add them for a further nutritional punch.

Ideas in this link for quinoa flakes- some don't need cooking

https://www.simplyquinoa.com/10-amazing-ways-to-use-quinoa-flakes/

Yvonne, JemPD, Starlight and 5 others like this.
  7. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

YAAAAY! I am happy for you! I hope you enjoy it!

I miss oats! I'm no longer able to tolerate them. I can now sneak some occasionally but it's never a good idea!

Yvonne and Invisible Woman like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too!
    I started on huel, the original oaty flavoured powder one is just wonderul. i will look for flax on the ingedients, i think they do give a full ingredient list on the website though.

I only on day 5 so am exploring the flavours. 2 x huel plus 1 parsley box meal. It's so easy & lovely not to have to think about what to have or whether i getting the right nutrition etc. The only trouble is i like the ready made ones less than the powder, which does have to be shaken vigorously to mix (or put in a blender) so will be getting my carer to refill the ready-made bottles (500ml) with the powder mix so i can just get from the fridge

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blenders are too heavy and difficult to wash/dry/hold onto for anything other than very occasional/freak use, although I do agree they tend to mix things a lot better than a bit of metal/plastic in a shaker.

Yours is the first review of huel that I've read where someone liked the taste, at all.

Yvonne and Invisible Woman like this.
  10. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On a hot day: cold rosehip soup with milk/cream (dairy or plant based) + a couple of digestives or hobnobs :inlove:

11. JemPD

Really? I'm surprised, the oaty one ('original' flavour) tastes really nice, if you like oats :)

I also tried the banana powder, plus & vanilla/berry ready-mades.

I must confess i think the banana powder isnt very nice, but ok mixed half n half with the original, & the berry ready-made tastes a bit artificial, so wont be ordering those again, but i also got the savoury one 'thai green curry' - their version of a healthy pot noodle only with rice & quinoa & veg, which was surprisingly nice & i normally detest those pot noodle/rice type things.

But yes the oat one i've had about 6 'doses' of now & i look forward to having some later.

I imagine most people go for the choc & fruit flavours, which i not really into unless it actually IS chocolate or fruit, eg i would always choose vanilla milkshake/ice cream, so i cant vouch for the other 'sweet' flavours. I got 2 other savoury flavours to try too so i will report back on those.

Yvonne, Starlight, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  12. JemPD

Just to feed back @lunarainbows yes all the huel stuff has flaxseed in it i'm afraid.

And the tomato & herb hot & savoury flavour is not nice - to my palette anyway.

still got the korma one to try, but the thai one was good so i'm hopeful :)

It's marvellous not having to think about what to eat and be able to monitor calorie intake easily too i put on a stone in the last yr so this is helping me lose a bit. 2 x huel is 800 plus a parsely box meal 230... muuch easier than counting everything you eat when you're cognitively bad it's almost impossible.

Yvonne, Starlight, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

That sounds intriguing.

14. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JemPD thanks for letting me know. I still haven’t found a ready made drink that I am able to tolerate AND not feel sick at the taste of. Some end up having a lot of nuts or seed in instead which I can’t tolerate either. I find the ensure drinks to be be good at keeping weight on but very difficult to drink consistently (and more recently, found them too rich as not able to able to digest fats).

Atm I’m drinking flavoured milk when I need something liquid. Or whey Protein + strawberry in milk.

I’m interested in https://www.nourishbyjaneclarke.com/
    they are just milk, cream and fruit and vitamins. they’re also more expensive so maybe not good for more constant use! I will still buy some later and let people know how I get on.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  15. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sort of thing is more what I do normally - so I can use my energy for living.

That, and most importantly: if I cook something I make enough to have leftovers. My fridge and freezer always have a stock of leftovers so I can heat and eat (or sometimes just eat) something I know I can tolerate. The simpler the better.

bobbler, Yvonne, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  16. Klabautermann

Klabautermann Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've actually used these in the past - mainly before bed, or when I would need something but don't have the energy to put something small together (as mentioned during a crash period)...where I can rest in bed and drink one or two.

It is difficult when one is single, as one is preparing their own stuff...but an added problem that I had was portions. Many things are for families and so I went and switched things around. Like I get single serve of apple sauce or rice pudding. I buy family sized bags of pierogies, and that way I can portion out how many I want. Aldi's has good chicken sausages, which I can also portion out. I get 'salad bowls' that have the lettuce with a bit of dressing and the 'toppings' which are also already pre-portioned for one. I get cheese to snack on and the single serve yogurt cups. Ham steaks are excellently portioned as I generally eat a whole steak. All of this takes little to no prep and cook time which makes it super easy for me. This has been the only way I could manage to find some sort of workable 'formula' for myself.

Yvonne, Wits_End, Hutan and 4 others like this.