1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ginger-separated moxibustion for chronic fatigue syndrome and its effect on intestinal flora, 2021, Lin et al

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Andy, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Objective: To observe the effect of ginger-separated moxibustion on fatigue state and intestinal flora in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Methods: A total of 62 patients with CFS were randomly divided into an observation group (31 cases, 3 cases dropped off) and a control group (31 cases, 2 cases dropped off). The patients in the control group were treated with normal diet and moderate exercise; on the basis of the control group, the patients in the observation group were treated with ginger-separated moxibustion at Zhongwan (CV 12), Shenque (CV 8) and Guanyuan (CV 4), 30 min each time, once every other day, three times a week. Both groups were intervened for 4 weeks. Before and after treatment, the fatigue scale-14 (FS-14) was used to observe the improvement of fatigue state, and 16S rRNA detection technology was used to detect the distribution of intestinal flora.

Results: Compared before treatment, the FS-14 score was reduced after treatment in the observation group (P<0.01), and the reduction in the observation group was larger than that in the control group (P<0.01). The relative abundance of intestinal flora was similar between the observation group and control group at the phylum and genus level before treatment. After treatment, there was no significant change of intestinal flora in the control group. However, the enterobacteriaceae, corynebacterium, erysipelothrix, actinomycetes were increased in the observation group (P<0.05), and actinomycetes, ruminococcus, lactarius had obvious flora advantages compared with the control group (P<0.05).

Conclusion: The ginger-separated moxibustion could significantly improve the fatigue state in CFS patients, which may be related to the regulation of intestinal flora structure and the repair of intestinal barrier.

English abstract only, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33798308/
    Chinese language link, https://kns.cnki.net/kcms/detail/detail.aspx?doi=10.13703/j.0255-2930.20200210-k0001

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is ginger-separated moxibustion? I've googled it but I'm none the wiser.

3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s a Chinese medicine technique apparently to do with burning stuff I presume that ginger replaces the mugwort? The paper looks very suspect in terms of design from the abstract but I haven’t read the paper.

from wiki

alktipping, Wyva, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ginger-separated moxibustion has the functions of warming meridians to remove cold, activating blood to clear off meridian obstruction, and strengthening body resistance to dispel pathogens. Moxibustion can treat prolonged diseases.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien... the,Moxibustion can treat prolonged diseases.

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, but that actually makes things worse. I don't know what meridians are, whether they are warm or cold. I also don't know what it means to "activate blood".

Starlight, alktipping, Wyva and 2 others like this.
  6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it’s to do with pressure points and acupuncture ...I’m no expert ...it sounds quite mystical....a bit like the conjecture around gut biome at the moment ;)

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a way of applying heat rather than needles to acupuncture points.

8. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried moxibustion many years ago. I was given a cigarette shaped "herbal stick" to burn near (approx 1 cm away from the skin, if I remember correctly?) various points along certain meridians (subtle energy channels). There was no flame, just some subtle smoke and heat.

It didn't help.

9. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have tried various TCM “things” at the onset of my illness; herbs, acupuncture, moxibustion were all part of the menu.

I suspect that they are all next to useless but we will never have an honest study to tell us so, because... who is going to bother spending the time?

Mij, Starlight, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  10. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This treatment does help; just not the patient.

Arnie Pye, alktipping and Trish like this.