Preprint Genome-wide Association Study of Long COVID, 2023, Lammi et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by chillier, Jul 2, 2023.

1. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Genome-wide Association Study of Long COVID, Lammi, Ollila et al 2023

Abstract

Infections can lead to persistent or long-term symptoms and diseases such as shingles after varicella zoster, cancers after human papillomavirus, or rheumatic fever after streptococcal infections(1,2). Similarly, infection by SARS-CoV-2 can result in Long COVID, a condition characterized by symptoms of fatigue and pulmonary and cognitive dysfunction(3-5). The biological mechanisms that contribute to the development of Long COVID remain to be clarified.

We leveraged the COVID-19 Host Genetics Initiative(6,7) to perform a genome-wide association study for Long COVID including up to 6,450 Long COVID cases and 1,093,995 population controls from 24 studies across 16 countries. We identified the first genome-wide significant association for Long COVID at the FOXP4 locus. FOXP4 has been previously associated with COVID-19 severity(6), lung function(8), and cancers(9), suggesting a broader role for lung function in the pathophysiology of Long COVID. While we identify COVID-19 severity as a causal risk factor for Long COVID, the impact of the genetic risk factor located in the FOXP4 locus could not be solely explained by its association to severe COVID-19. Our findings further support the role of pulmonary dysfunction and COVID-19 severity in the development of Long COVID.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.06.29.23292056v1

AliceLily, Louie41, Ariel and 8 others like this.
  2. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're curious what FOXP4 does: it's a transcription factor. That means it controls the expression of other genes. Little seems to be known about the exact genes regulated by FOXP4. It is known to play a role in the nervous system, and to also be expressed in the gut and lungs.

I get the impression that it's related to cell adhesion.

PS: the paper has some discussion about the role of FOXP4 in the human body. They emphasize the expressed on FOXP4 in the lung and also say it's also expressed in some immune cells.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    Louie41, Ariel, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly FOXP4 is mentioned in one study on the genetic overlap between Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and long covid: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.03.24.23287706v1.full

(the EDS in that study appears to be a clinical diagnosis with dysautonomia plus hypermobility, not the well defined monogenetic disorder type. The genetics data on EDS predates the pandemic)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    Louie41, Ariel, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't read that thread without logging in. And I think there are forum members who don't have twitter accounts.

I can't do it today, but if anyone thinks it's useful I can login and transcribe the twitter thread in a day or two.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, please send me a direct message if you want me to transcribe that twitter thread.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nature
    Gene linked to long COVID found in analysis of thousands of patients

quotes:

It’s very important that this type of study is being done,” says Chris Ponting, who studies medical bioinformatics at the University of Edinburgh, UK. “It will gain momentum and greater power as the case number increases.”

“It won’t just be a single answer, there will be a whole variety of people’s vulnerabilities contributing to why they haven’t recovered from COVID,” says Ponting. He and his colleagues proposed a study that would have included DNA from 15,000 people with long COVID. But grant reviewers rejected the proposal, he says, because they thought the condition too complex to be dissected in the way Ponting's team suggested.

“I disagree,” he says. “It is very complicated, but also very important to pick apart. The health and socio-economic costs of long COVID are enormous.”

7. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m familiar with FOXC1 as a developmental gene involving the eye

Louie41 likes this.
  8. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a load of bullshit. The condition is too complex to be studied with GWAS, really? But psychologists telling you to think happy thoughts and ignore your symptoms, those are fine eh? And those unblinded clinical trials with unlikely drugs and subjective measures, those are fine too. What a joke.

By the way, @Jonathan Edwards what do you think of this result? FOXP4?

Missense, Sid, Louie41 and 8 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A very interesting finding.
    It is sufficiently close to known immune regulators (such as FOXP3) to seem maybe relevant but also suitably obscure - maybe responsible for some control mechanism we don't yet know. much about.

10. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. If anything, very poorly understood diseases might be the best candidates for a GWAS, because when studying the whole genome, we don't need to know where to look.

sebaaa, Sid, Jacob Richter and 9 others like this.
  11. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are there any similar studies happening so that this result could be replicated; does anyone know? I was really disappointed that the Ponting-led GWAS study was not funded. I know they were hoping someone else would do the study? Is anything else happening?

V.R.T., sebaaa, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  12. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. SNT Gatchaman

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    RedFox and alktipping like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

Replicated across countries —

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.17.18 AM Large.jpeg

Important to evaluate non-European populations who have higher FOXP4 mutations —

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.17.49 AM Large.jpeg

FOXP4 overlaps with lung pathology including asthma / airways hypersensitivity —

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.18.27 AM Large.jpeg

Is expressed in multiple tissues: lung, hypothalamus, immune cells —

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.18.12 AM Large.jpeg

Is a standout risk factor for Covid hospitalisation —

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.18.45 AM Large.jpeg

But also stands out independently of hospitalisation as a long Covid risk factor —

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.19.04 AM Large.jpeg

17. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How do they know it’s complex? It could be very simple. No one knows anything about long covid, this blanket pronouncement is inappropriate.

V.R.T., obeat, Kalliope and 5 others like this.
  18. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If Decode ME has a postive result, should we anticipate the Ponting decode long covid study being revived? Or a similar project

Ariel, RedFox and Sean like this.
  19. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    Ariel, RedFox and Trish like this.