1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Genetic Links to anxiety & depression (GLAD) study: Online recruitment into largest recontactable study of depression & anxiety, 2019, Davies et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005796719301895

inox, Cheshire, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That seems excessively overdiagnosed. Hopefully this leads to better diagnostic tools that reduce this absurdly inflated number. Being able to reliably diagnose those two would go a long way to removing a lot of the noise in medicine.

The 80:20 female:male ratio is a bit on the suspicious side as to the reliability of diagnosis. If the standard tools used in practice are not reliable, very likely, it will only perpetuate those flaws. Recruitment pool was mainly from IAPT clinics and KCL, then online.

MEMarge and shak8 like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If by that they mean at some stage in a person's life they see a doctor because they are depressed or anxious, that figure doesn't surprise me. They are including life events as causes. Most people suffer bereavement, relationship breakdown, loss of job etc at some stage in their life, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if quite a few seek some medical help to get through it, whether referral for counselling or medication - I have.

That is different from what this study was looking for I think - people with a lifelong depression and/or anxiety disorder that is chronically disabling. That would be a lot less than 30%.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh I nearly participated in this but then didn't because it was too much effort.
    Or maybe it was because I didn't meet inclusion criteria. Can't remember

MEMarge and shak8 like this.
  5. Sarah94

Re the female to male ratio in participants - could be because males may be more reluctant to admit they have depression/anxiety by taking part in a study?

MEMarge likes this.
  6. Sarah94

Oh they're still recruiting... I might try again, given I have more energy to work with these days than I did when I tried before.

MEMarge likes this.
  7. Sarah94

Potential perk of taking part is that you can ask them to give you your genetic data if you wish... I imagine that'd be more accurate than 23andme

MEMarge likes this.
  8. Sarah94

Is this what's called a GWAS?

9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The number of authors is astonishing - over 50 individuals plus a consortium of some kind, all from the UK apart from two - one from the Republic of Ireland, the other from Sweden.

The whole thing will be interpreted and puffed off in a way that saves the NHS money and screws patients, I'm sure of it.

If I had given the reliability of the data any thought at all I would have guessed completely the opposite. I would expect a commercial company with years of experience would know more about genetic testing than a group of academics with only theoretical knowledge and little or no practical experience. But maybe I'm just too cynical.

What is a GWAS?

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

rvallee, Sarah94 and Arnie Pye like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The effort going into diagnosis of depression and anxiety can sometimes be shockingly lazy. And it's rarely overturned even when an actual explanation is found, instead turned into either the association or risk factor that BPS folks love to point at.

I once saw an ENT to check for explanations for dizziness and lightheadedness, mentioned my tinnitus and the doc said it's probably anxiety. Zero questions asked. No idea if that's the conclusion on my file but I would not be surprised.

On the anxiety personality spectrum, I range somewhere between a capybara and a highly sedated capybara. Yet it is probably in my files from multiple sources. Likely not as MDD or GAD but still, a lot of it is noise that should not be there and must factor in statistics in some way.

Sarah94 and Arnie Pye like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

I was recently told that my bunged up ears were due to depression or psychological factors.

Sarah94, rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  14. Sarah94

*facepalm*

rvallee, Amw66 and Arnie Pye like this.
  15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MUS bedding in nicely?

16. Arnie Pye

With hindsight I've been suffering from them for over 45 years, so yes. :banghead: :(

17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are they providing participants with their complete whole-genome sequence data?

It will be interesting if they find anything with high sensitivity, but I doubt they will.