1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

generic pharmaceutical fraud; book, “bottle of lies“.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by voner, Feb 1, 2020.

1. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just finished listening to a podcast (2 hrs 45 Minutes) with Katherine Eban the author of the book, "Bottle of Lies"? it certainly captured my attention. The book is about fraud in the generic pharmaceutical manufacturing in Asian countries and the podcast focused a lot on one specific manufacturer. Pretty stunning stuff. Do you Know somebody that says they’re generic drug doesn’t work as well as the original drug? Well, check this source out.

i’d be interested to hear from people that have read the book or have knowledge of the subject. I have not read the book, nor do I have any expertise in this area.

here is a link to the book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42448266-bottle-of-lies?from_search=true&qid=z0H2hgElCY&rank=1

Here is a link to the podcast... you can fastfoward through the begining were the Podcaster rambles on.. It is a really long podcast and I was irritated by the constant interruptions and ego of the host, but I thought it was worth listening for all the details that emerged. It was the first time I listened to this podcast... perhaps someone else has a better audio source?

https://peterattiamd.com/katherineeban/

You can also google the author and the book title and there are many, many interviews.

Here in the USA, generics are the norm, so this seems really significant info.

TrixieStix, MEMarge, Lidia and 5 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read recently that in the US here generic manufacturers are fewer and fewer.

MEMarge, alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  3. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yeah, she said 90 percent of generic drugs sold in the United States are manufactured in Asia - India or China.

TrixieStix, MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In online chats etc. about gabapentin and pregabalin there are many posts about generics not working. A lot of these complaints are by Americans whose doctors prescribe the generic and often won't believe it's not effective.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's another issue, in Europe at least. Fake drugs making they're way into the supply chain. Apparently, there's big money in it.

MEMarge, Lidia, alktipping and 2 others like this.