1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Generalised worry in patients with [CFS] following Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - a prospective cohort study in secondary care, 2022, Chalder et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It does look like they have a lot of missing data - it may be that they never collected/recorded everything or people just didn't fill out the forms. But they are not being clear about it. I also thought the "polytechnic" catagory in education was a bit weird as they became univerities many years ago so there is an implicit age thing there as well as an academic bias - also no further education catagory.

EzzieD, MEMarge, Lou B Lou and 2 others like this.
  2. Adrian

I think the time line may be interesting. If they ask people about anxiety prior to them getting a solid diagnosis and then after CBT they can't rule out other things such as the importance of having a diagnosis (which can help and getting one can be really stressful). It seems sloppy (but I've not read the paper).

Hutan, EzzieD, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why do they think that the 27.6% of CFS patients who, by their findings, do not suffer from generalised worry would benefit from CBT?

Their figures seem to be broadly in line with those in the 1989 Wessely and Powell paper. The same same objections still apply, and have probably never been seriously addressed.

EzzieD, Wyva, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  4. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has the WSAS been validated for physical disabilities? On a quick search it seems to be an outcome measure for mental health conditions.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...-functioning/A23DD5A7256D13707859AC164B0A073C

The form states a score of 20 or over suggests "moderately severe or worse pyschopathology", which scoring a 4/definitely (or higher) impaired in the areas of life in the 5 questions would get you.

EzzieD, NelliePledge, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  5. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember saying this exact thing to my GP. It would be far more concerning if I was just breezing through, saying everything is fine!

EzzieD, Missense, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  6. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yet also, although naturally “worried”, this is not something that a doctor should feel they need to treat!

Edit - Nor in my view should they attempt to treat if we don’t look worried enough!!

EzzieD, Sean, Missense and 4 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I scored 46! It is ludicrous to use a scale like that for physical disorders, not just ME but every physical disorder. It seems strange to me that it can be used for a mental disorder either.

Social anxiety can easily score 20 or more.

Simbindi, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Example - you are physically paralyzed. Therefore the whole issue is anxiety on this scale. Its OK, therapy will cure your paralysis.

Scales like this, if used at all, must have severe limitations when and how they are used. This might, I don't know the scale, but if so its being misused.

Simbindi, Hutan, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@dave30th can you take a look at this one. It's paywalled, so most of us can't read it.

10. Adrian

If patients are worried early on as diagnosis happens it could be useful for a doctor to find out specific things that are worrying them and provide better information and advice. For example, someone could be worried about work and how to deal with occupational health so advice on this could be useful.

But a general 'worried' isn't really a useful concept.

Simbindi, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes to advice - absolutely, but treatment is something else, it suggests the worry is not appropriate.

EzzieD, Sean, Missense and 5 others like this.
  12. Adrian

I think it shows how deluded the people writing this paper are to talk about worry as a general concept with the idea that if you tell people not to worry they will get better. But I do think as a practical thing doctors who can recognize specific worries and deal with them in practical ways can be helpful. If they were doing valuable research then they may pick up on something like that but they aren't they just want to publish papers that raise their publication count and try to dismiss patients.

Simbindi, JemPD, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  13. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The woman has been studying CBT for CFS for 30+ years. She just noticed that patients worry??

Simbindi, MEMarge, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  14. Trish

15. Trish

Comments
    The Penn State Worry Questionnaire gives scores ranging from 16 to 80 where 16 means you chose the lowest scoring option on each of 16 statements, and 80 is the highest level of worry.
    They chose 45 as the cut off point for significant worry. Yet they categorise everyone scoring 16 to 45 as 'mild generalised worry'. So on that basis, everyone in the world is worried, even if they report they are never worried.
    Most of the statements you are asked to respond to could be influenced by the life changes ME/CFS forces on the person and the lack of support and care they are getting, not by any psychological worry disorder. Who wouldn't be worried if they are struggling to keep a job and work rate because of physical illness and are getting no support, and being told by their therapist that their symptoms are the result of fear avoidance.

I had a look at the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS). It's completely inappropriate for measuring anxiety and depression in ME/CFS because many of the questions are about activities, which for someone with ME/CFS are likely to be limited by physical and/or cognitive disability, not by anxiety or depression. It's no wonder they keep insisting so many of us have comorbid anxiety and depression disorders.

The Chalder Fatigue questionnaire we've discussed multiple times. We know it's seriously flawed.

Hutan, SNT Gatchaman, Lilas and 12 others like this.
  16. Trish

I did a search for
    The fear avoidance subscale of the 40-item Cognitive and Behavioural Responses Questionnaire (CBRQ)

I found this:
    https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/fi...actor_RYAN_Accepted4October2017_GREEN_AAM.pdf
    It's by Chalder's team and from 2017. It seems to be a study based on the same patient set and on the PACE trial participants.
    Edit: We have a thread on it here:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/ryan-...behavioural-responses-questionnaire-cbrq.921/

On page 36 the list of statements for each subscale is listed. The one referred to in this study is this:

The other subscale used was this one:
    That's not fear avoidance. For someone with ME/CFS who gets PEM, that's sensible pacing advice.

The more I look into this the worse it gets.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    JemPD, Hutan, Snow Leopard and 12 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I believe HADs is one of the questionnaires they used at the CFS clinics I went to.

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Trish

I have attempted to wade through the paper, with rising indignation at all the assumptions being made.

I don't know what to make of this in the discussion (my bolding):

And yet in the conclusion:
    I've lost the will to live on this one. I hope someone else will pick it apart more effectively than I can and challenge it.

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. The disastrous consequence of naively presuming an illness to be what the measurement instrument only works correctly for.

20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It should be required in papers such as these for a simple progression of logical steps to be listed, showing how an overall logical conclusion has been arrived at. In this case what the interim logical progression is interposed between "Generalised worry", "behavioural avoidance" and "impairs functioning". If they did that they would better be able to see how the whole thing is such a waste of time and money ... including their educations.