1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Anesthetic and Severe M.E

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by Jessie 107, Sep 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jessie 107

Jessie 107 Established Member

I have severe M.E, I am bedbound.
    I have to go to hospital for a procedure which is going to require a general anaesthetic. The procedure should only take 5 / 10 minutes.
    My question is, has anyone who is severe had a G . Anesthetic?
    How has is affected your M.E ?
    What should I tell the Anesthesiologist about my illness?
    I have mild Pots.
    No horror stories please.

Yvonne, DokaGirl, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had to have a general anaesthetic in my 30s. At that point, I too was bedbound, and, looking back, had POTS. I looked to the MEA literature for advice and passed it on to the anaesthetist (and I was fine!).

I would expect the advice to have been updated by now. I'd get in touch with the MEA.

Good luck! :)

Yvonne, Ariel, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leaflet available online, cost £1 - https://meassociation.org.uk/product/anaesthetics-your-questions-answered/

Not personal experience but you might want to focus on Pre Anaesthesia drugs where there may be more latitude in choice/avoidance/inclusion than on the actual GA being used https://bnf.nice.org.uk/treatment-summaries/pre-medication-and-peri-operative-drugs/

Yvonne, Ariel, DokaGirl and 7 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, DokaGirl, Wits_End and 3 others like this.
  6. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last week I had midazolam and fentanyl for a procedure. It was not a general anaesthetic but conscious sedation and local anaesthetic. I had no problems with at all. I was weak and tired the next couple of days, but that would have been expected even without the drugs and I was completely back to normal by the third day. I am very sensitive to most drugs, even at low doses, so was surprised not to have any adverse effects.

Hutan, Ariel, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  7. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had two anaesthetics last year, and I don't think that they caused any side effects. The problems in hospital are noise ,bright lights and excess activity so you need to plan for those. I wore my eye mask and earplugs while being anaesthetised and the eye mask had been replaced when I got back to recovery.

If you suffer from migraine and have to fast, the anaesthetist would consider putting up an IV line if fasting triggers a migraine.

Yvonne, Hutan, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  8. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have severe ME (I'm not always bedridden), but I have had many surgeries over the years, and I do feel that with each successive surgery, my overall fatigue gets worse and/or the surgery takes longer to recover from, especially if I have general. My last surgery (shoulder replacement in March 2022) required general, and it's hard to say whether the anesthesia alone is why my overall health is worse now, as I also took an exhausting trip in June that may have contributed more to my worsened ME. I always ask before a surgery if non-general is an option (nerve blocks, while harder for recovery pain, are easier on my fatigue; spinal blocks; etc. with mild sedation are my preference), and if general is required, I talk to the anesthesiologist before the surgery and ask for the lowest possible amount of anesthetizing medication.

Not sure if this is helpful.

Yvonne, alktipping, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  9. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope your surgery went well @Jessie 107

I have POTS.

I make sure to tell the surgeon and anesthesiologist that I may have tachycardia during surgery, even though I am anesthetized. I sometimes have tachycardia when supine.

Yvonne, Hutan, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hadn't seen this thread before @Jessie 107 but, in case you need it again or someone else needs it, I had a GA accompanied by a saline drip on the advice of my immunologist and all was fine. In fact I felt better than I had prior.
    I hope your procedure went well.