1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Burgess talking ME/CFS BBC Radio 5 live Wed 1pm

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for being here Gary! And even bigger thank you for getting the word out about ME/CFS. We are captivated by your wit and inspired by your passion for advocacy.

Here is a working link for Gary's BBC5 interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05zn3nz

MEMarge, Gary Burgess, Jan and 4 others like this.
  2. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes!! That's me. I am a newbie and have been suicidal and still sometimes feel like escaping due to the hopelessness of MUS, stigma, no help etc....I have to say Carol Momaghan and Gary have given me hope. I really hope Carol stays on the case.

MEMarge, Webdog, Forestvon and 10 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Between you, me and several hundred close friends, I've been suicidal too at times. I think the majority of us have.
    But there really is hope, everyday there is an article, a blog, a program, a research paper or something about ME. There is a momentum now that there wasn't when my POTS hit 8 years ago.
    Hang on in there @Sunshine3, I'd suggest hanging your hope onto the momentum of change rather than investing it all on a favourite person, clinic or hypothesis, I find it safer emotionally to do that. That way if one champion stumbles there's always another to take their place.

5. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Liv xxx

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. The snowball is steadily picking up speed down the slope and getting bigger and bigger. Somewhere soon the BPS crowd are no longer going to be able to run away from it!

MEMarge, Webdog, Forestvon and 6 others like this.
  7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's only part of the story though, most important is gonna be to find ways to alleviate or cure our disease when it comes to hope.

ukxmrv, Jan, Sunshine3 and 5 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. But I think that will get a much bigger boost once the PACE/BPS farce finally gets sorted.

MEMarge, Webdog, Forestvon and 5 others like this.
  9. Stuart

Stuart Established Member (Voting Rights)

I understand the context of what @ukxmrv was saying, we've had awareness raising in the 80s, in the 90s, in the 00s, and now the 10s. At what point do we get beyond the 'awareness raising?'

Every illness can use a bit now and then to get into the public conscience or to get more support from the medical and public policy community, but ME just gets lost in the original conflation of ME with idiopathic fatigue that came out of the CDC's invention of 'cfs' during the Tahoe outbreak.

The persistence of ignoring biomedical data, lack of funding to better follow up on biomedical data, the funding of BPS nonsense and level of commitment to it is Kafkaesque and is going to leave a stain on the medical and scientific community that won't wash off.

Until we can stop grinding our gears on 'fatigue' we will never get any forward movement. Doing so is going to take much more than polite agreement, it certainly didn't for AIDS activists. It is gaslighting to tell us to be both more agreeable (i.e. use our 'inside voices') and then more activist at the same time.

It is why we can't limit our rare chances at having a voice in the public to 'a step at a time,' unless we answer the question posed by the show, it won't have much effect.