Functional somatic illnesses in patients with functional bowel disorders. A cross-sectional cohort study in western Saudi Arabia, 2020, Khayyat

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://smj.org.sa/index.php/smj/article/view/smj.2020.2.24901/11887

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

What a weird study.
    The inclusion criteria were approximately:
    1. abdominal symptoms that equalled IBS, with nothing suggesting another bowel-related diagnosis, and
    2. at least one of: headache, migraine, joint or muscular pain, anxiety or depression (they termed these 'psychosomatic illness')

They then assessed the prevalence of each of the psychosomatic illnesses.

and then, if I have understood right, they concluded that psychosomatic illness is very common in patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders.

:facepalm:
    Sometimes I am surprised anew at the stupidity. Unless I have got it wrong and it is me being stupid.

We have no idea how many IBS patients they had who had no 'psychosomatic symptoms', because they only selected patients who had psychosomatic symptoms for the study. So they can't conclude anything about how common psychosomatic illnesses are in their IBS patients. And 100% of their sample had one or more psychosomatic illness.

And that's even before we start considering whether a headache or a migraine or joint pain or the others are necessarily psychosomatic, or if the instruments they used to decide if someone had any of those conditions were accurate. Looking at the headache definitions for example, a person may have qualified as having headaches if they have had one. And presumably having IBS might mean that you exhibit a few anxious or depressed symptoms without necessarily having anxiety disorder or clinical depression.

Some nights this game feels like shooting fish in barrels.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for saving me the trouble of reading it, @Hutan!

So they selected patients with IBS plus X/Y/Z, then concluded a lot of patients with IBS have X/Y/Z.

Bizarre.

I was going to say how the f*** did that get past peer review, then checked to see who published it - a medical journal, so probably not peer reviewed. Probably not even read carefully.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let's break this down:
    1. Here's a box with a label
    2. Here's a bunch of objects that we selected and put in the box
    3. Looks in the box, finds objects, concludes there is an association between the objects and the label
    So the conclusion of this study is that if you put some objects in a box, you will find them in that box. Outstanding. It's typical of the level of quality in this field, just as devoid of substance. The execution simply doesn't have the decades of experience of using flowery language and mathemagics to give the illusion of a legitimate process.

The process in this field isn't science, it's persuasion. Those amateurs have a lot to learn from the pros.

5. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup...

Hutan and alktipping like this.