1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Functional exercise capacity in maximal and submaximal activities of individuals with polio sequelae 2022 de Lira et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Purpose

Poliomyelitis is an infectious disease that can cause total paralysis. Furthermore, poliomyelitis survivors may develop new signs and symptoms, including muscular weakness and fatigue, years after the acute phase of the disease, i.e., post-polio syndrome (PPS). Thus, the objective was to compare the functional exercise capacity during maximal and submaximal exercises among individuals with polio sequelae (without PPS diagnosis), PPS, and a control group.

Methods
    Thirty individuals participated in three groups: a control group (CG, n = 10); a group of individuals with polio sequelae but without PPS diagnosis (PG, n = 10); and a PPS group (PPSG, n = 10). All participants underwent (i) a cardiopulmonary exercise test to determine their maximal oxygen uptake (\({\dot{\text{V}}\text{O}}_{{2}} {\text{max}}\)) and (ii) a series of functional field tests (i.e., walking test, sit-to-stand test, and stair climbing test).

Results
    \(\dot{V}\)O2max was 30% lower in PPSG than in CG and PG. Regarding functional field tests, walking and stair climbing test performances were significantly different among all groups. The PPSG sit-to-stand performance was lower than CG.

Conclusion
    The sequelae of paralytic poliomyelitis impair functional exercise capacity obtained from maximal and submaximal tests, especially in patients with PPS. Furthermore, submaximal variables appear to be more negatively impacted than maximal variables.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00421-022-05095-y