1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

From neurasthenia to post-exertion disease: Evolution of the diagnostic criteria of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2019, Murga

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract available in Spanish and English, rest of paper in Spanish.
    Open access at www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S021265671930191X

MEMarge likes this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mi español no es lo suficientemente bueno para leer el estudio, ¿puede alguien resumir si es bueno o no?

MEMarge, NelliePledge and Hutan like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article is basically a narrative review of the various names and clinical definitions for CFS over the years. The article doesn't really delve into etiology nor treatment.

Google Translate conclusion:

Mij, DokaGirl, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wish the starting point for looking at definitions would not be 'chronic idiopathic fatigue', but abnormal muscular and cognitive fatiguability and PEM. The trouble is, I think all the definitions head their list of symptoms with 'chronic disabling fatigue', which leads people studying the history off on a wild goose chase of things like neurasthenia and anything else that mentions fatigue.

This translated abstract looks like it was written by someone who has no idea about ME. Am I being too harsh? I can't read Spanish.

Snowdrop, rvallee, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's why I like the name ME as it emphasises muscle problems and neurological problems without fatigue being there. It just wasn't seen as primary in the days before CFS.

I suppose SEID is better from that point of view as well.

rvallee, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  6. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What plan of action? Any action an ME patient takes generally makes the condition worse. There are no evidence-based treatments and no known causal mechanism.

Snowdrop, Mij, Trish and 4 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The standard patter at the beginning of many articles on ME seems to be just that, something that comes from a template, or the same song sheet over and over. Always "complex" true, but it grates that authors usually say "controversial" as well. If they are biomedical scientists, with a solid grounding in ME, I hope they don't say ME is controversial. More original intros stressing the biomedical reality of ME would be very welcome.

alktipping, rvallee, Mij and 3 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Moderator note:
    Message copied from this thread.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/neura...elic-2019-overholser-et-al.11031/#post-198294

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S021265671930191X

Atención Primaria

Available online 8 June 2019
    In Press, Corrected

From neurasthenia to post-exertion disease: Evolution of the diagnostic criteria of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis

ÍñigoMurgaJosé-VicenteLafuente
    https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aprim.2019.04.004Get rights and content
    Under a Creative Commons license

Abstract in English and Spanish

Text in Spanish

Abstract

Changes in the terminology and diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis are explained in this paper.

This syndrome is a complex and controversial entity of unknown origins. It appears in the medical literature in 1988, although clinical pictures of chronic idiopathic fatigue have been identified since the nineteenth century with different names, from neurasthenia, epidemic neuromyasthenia, and benign myalgic encephalomyelitis up to the current proposal of disease of intolerance to effort (post-effort). All of them allude to a chronic state of generalised fatigue of unknown origin, with limitations to physical and mental effort, accompanied by a set of symptoms that compromise diverse organic systems.

The International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) places this syndrome in the section on neurological disorders (G93.3), although histopathological findings have not yet been found to clarify it.

Multiple organic alterations have been documented, but a common biology that clarifies the mechanisms underlying this disease has not been established. It is defined as a neuro-immune-endocrine dysfunction, with an exclusively clinical diagnosis and by exclusion.

Several authors have proposed to include CFS/ME within central sensitivity syndromes, alluding to central sensitisation as the common pathophysiological substrate for this, and other syndromes.

The role of the family doctor is a key figure in the disease, from the detection of those patients who present a fatigue of unknown nature that is continuous or intermittent for more than 6 months, in order to make an early diagnosis and establish a plan of action against a chronic disease with high levels of morbidity in the physical and mental sphere.

Objective
    To carry out a bibliographic review of the terminology and diagnostic criteria of the chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis, in order to clarify the pathology conceptually, as a usefulness in the diagnosis of Primary Care physicians.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2021