1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

FREE Long Covid and ME/CFS Holistic Healing VIRTUAL SUMMIT July 10-16, 2023

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not a recommendation

https://living-from-inspiration.myk...stic-healing-summit-for-long-covid-and-me-cfs

7 days of free online talks with speakers ranging from outright quacks to respectable researchers like Leonard Jason and Todd Davenport.

The emphasis is clearly on alt med and people who claim to have cured themselves and now run lucrative businesses promoting their protocols and claiming cures.

I don't understand why respectable scientists and clinicians would associate themselves with this.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl:, had me laughing while drinking tea, with a mildly bad outcome

AndroidEeyore, Milo, oldtimer and 9 others like this.
  3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's free and I'm Dutch, so even though it's shit......

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

It’s a real mix. At least those who normally live in the alternative bubble will potentially be exposed to more sensible ideas.

What is Methylene Blue? It sounds suspiciously like loo cleaner.

mango, oldtimer, Mij and 10 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm puzzled about this as well. I had never heard of it until about two or three months ago, and yet I have seen it mentioned quite a lot of times since then on all sorts of websites, as well as by various doctors, some possible crackpots and quacks, and Google Scholar has about 3.7 million search results for it.

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=methylene+blue&btnG=

It has apparently been around for over a century (according to wikipedia), but why haven't I heard of it before and what has made it very popular all of a sudden?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_blue

EndME, alktipping and Hutan like this.
  6. Hutan

On Dr Sherr who is speaking at the event:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/kayl...029063501264404481-P2kr/?originalSubdomain=om
    [/QUOTE]
    buccal troche - a lozenge

Some warnings, there are probably more things to be aware of. It can also cause allergic reactions

shak8, alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's been used for bartonella from what I know. If it's effective I dunno.

Hutan and Arnie Pye like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hopefully not like 'Soylent Green'

9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If i remember correctly wasn't this one of the hippy drugs of the seventies used to bring people down after a high .

10. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw this summit promoted on the blog “Health Rising,” which seems to be a favored news source for many patients. Disconcerting, though much of what I’ve seen on that medium constitutes the dissemination of charlatanry, in my estimation.

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

In addition to her Holistic and Well-Being coaching practice, Lorrie is also a best-selling co-author with Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer, an RYT500 yoga instructor, a charter Healing Codes + Trilogy Energy Medicine coach, and a medical intuitive.

At least she is a fully qualified charlatan.

Jaybee00, EzzieD, boolybooly and 8 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's even more amazing is that the use of "holistic" here is the exact same as in psychosomatic medicine. Doesn't seem to bother them that they are talking about the exact same thing as people they openly dismiss and view as quacks. The lack of self-awareness and self-reflection is staggering.

EzzieD, boolybooly, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What used to be considered fraud is now considered natural or holistic medicine.

EzzieD, boolybooly, obeat and 6 others like this.
  14. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Methylene blue is widely used as an antiparasitic in the aquarium trade. Apparently it blocks nitric oxide synthase in humans, which might raise blood pressure and account for some reported effects. I wouldn't do that to myself, personally.

This all looks very LP like with all the same problems. IMHO PWME are particularly vulnerable to hope farmers due to cognitive dysfunction and high degrees of stress. In fact I would go so far as to say we can be hypersuggestible.

People are gullible even without ME though. Dont get me started on cults like TM, $1000 to learn to levitate from "TM university".
    Levitation my arse!

TM try to wheedle their way into the mainstream every generation to find more victims. Lost intellectuals get tied up in sophistry and narcissism all the time and some then graduate to become perpetrators.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2023
    Wonko, Trish, Sean and 2 others like this.
  15. Hutan

And many people who do know better are okay with that, because they believe in the power of the placebo. As in, it doesn't matter if the packaging is spurious if it helps 'mind over matter'.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Milo, rvallee, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  16. Sean

Worth repeating.

The mainstream 'experts' just view stuff like LP, et al, as another form of placebo.

Milo, Art Vandelay, rvallee and 11 others like this.
  17. rvallee

I will never forget Wessely's answer to someone asking him that about PACE, something to the effect of: "the placebo is one of the most powerful interventions we have". Even though by design and definition, it is the least effective treatment that has ever existed, since every approved treatment must do better than nothing/placebo. And of course many fake treatments have passed this "test", showing that it was always a mere issue of actually measuring outcomes. It always struck me as so absurd but also it just explains so much about what these people believe.

But of course that's where the separation between medicine and psychology is critical, because however that may be true in medicine, once you've de-medicalized an issue this doesn't matter anymore. Even though their claims are definitely used medically, psychology standards overruling medical ones out of sheer belief and ideology. I guess it just doesn't matter at this point, there's no oversight for any of it.

Before placebo this was called "white coat effect", or something like that. It was the belief that the mere presence of a doctor was healing, they're just magical beings like that, reassuring and everything. And then things just got way out of hand from there. A very harsh lesson in opportunity cost, what is lost by making a choice. Here the decision to go all in on woo destroyed tens of millions of lives and regressed medicine massively, but criticize any of it and you are right back to the old days of religious doctrines imposing myths and traditions above reality.

18. Sean

How is this not reckless cruel fraud? There is no way that claim holds against the evidence.

Solstice, Trish and obeat like this.
  19. rvallee

It's fully consistent with widespread beliefs that our "issues" are basically nocebo, or nothing at all, or whatever, therefore placebo is definitely acceptable. Maximizing it is thus definitely optimal, especially as it can do no direct harm, and indirect harms are irrelevant, too hard to even define. Beliefs are fuzzy, can't really be judged adequately, and those beliefs are unquestionable for now, about equal to genetics and every other foundational theory of medicine.

Unfortunately we are in a "who will police the police?" situation, where hardly any MD would dare criticize this, the risk to career is too high. And since MDs would ultimately decide whether this is fraudulent, well, the police definitely thinks they're doing a great job here.

Sean likes this.
  20. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is really bad.

Hutan likes this.