1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fold-up chair for kitchen

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by InitialConditions, Dec 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recently saw a chair that would be perfect for me in the kitchen. It's one of those where it has x-shaped legs when extended, and at the top has a simple canvas strip for support, with no back. When folded it could be placed in a small gap of say 10cm.

Does anyone know what these are called? I cannot remember where I saw the chair and I'm not entirely sure what to google. 'Folding chair' brings up things that look similar, but they are much too low in height.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. InitialConditions

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. InitialConditions

I guess it's not really a chair without a back. More of a stool — but that would be too low.

5. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. InitialConditions

Thanks. Yes, I've seen something like this before. Could be an option, but seems maybe overkill (and a little pricey).

7. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also, heavy. A cheap, flimsy bar stool is going to be easier to lug about and is still quite unlikely to topple.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Foldable-Bar-Stool/103431/bn_7023438191

alktipping and InitialConditions like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes I’ve got a folding bar stool with a back from ikea. I needed a sturdy one so it isn’t lightweight but ok for me to move to where I need it. I’ve put felt gliders on the feet and I’ve got vinyl flooring so it slides ok.

MEMarge, Mithriel, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Your description sounds like a tall director's chair.
    Line Drawing of Tall Directors Chair.jpg

EDIT: I just realized you said no back! I misread and thought the "canvas strip for support" meant the back support.

And I'm pretty sure I did that because I wouldn't want to sit in a chair without a back support.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  11. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also added gliders to the feet of my bar stool. It slides pretty well on our vinyl floor.

12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My friend has some very like these in her kitchen, which are sturdy and comfortable enough to work on in the kitchen. They old almost flat:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334468941882

We had some similar to this at work, a more expensive type but stable and comfy:

I found perching stools for disabled people an absolute nightmare. I've had two foisted on me by occupational therapists at different times, and whilst they were different designs, they both had the same problems. The sloping seat throws all your weight onto your thighs, which for many PWME is the most painful muscle group; and the legs flare right out at the bottom in order to make them super-stable, which means anyone with PEM brain fog and clumsiness is likely to trip over the bloody things repeatedly.

I managed to return one of mine to the Red Cross, who at the time supplied our local authority's equipment, but the second was just abandoned at my house. I threatened to Freecycle it on the grounds that it was a safety hazard (and it really was); two months later they still hadn't offered me a way to return it, so that's what I did in the end.

Wonko, alktipping, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PS: before buying a bar stool, it's worth making sure it's the right height. I'm quite tall for a woman at 5' 9", but I still can't get onto a full height pub stool because it requires you to be able to put one foot on the rung behind you, and push yourself up onto the seat with one leg. I discovered recently that I have neither the strength nor the postural stability! :laugh: Most of the stools sold for people's kitchens aren't nearly so tall, as they're designed to raise you to worktop height and not the height of a bar, but given the hazards of online ordering ...

Wits_End, bobbler, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  14. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

another one worth looking at it 'fishing chairs' but then you'd need your extra criteria for height etc. I mention these because they will also fold down small and necessarily tend to be quite light, foldable and many of them made to be really comfy for longish periods of time

alktipping likes this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The IKEA Franklin one I bought is £35 comes in two heights as well so I could get one high enough for the kitchen work surface.

MEMarge, Trish, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a rollator, bit more expensive but good if you have other needs. OT gave me a perching stool but I have a narrow, galley type kitchen and it was just in the way and too heavy to move easily, also found the same problems as Kitty.

Coincidently, I got the rollator just as I gave back the perching stool. It has 4 wheels and a basket under the seat so it was useful to go out with, it folds flat and is very supportive and comfortable.

I need a wheelchair now and rarely manage out anyway, but I keep the rollator in the kitchen against the back door because it is so useful. I sit on it to rest while I can still watch things cook (and not forget about them!) and it goes under the kitchen table so food prep is more accessible. The wheels mean it is easy to move so I use it to eat my meals instead of a chair and it is light enough to take outside the door to get some sun.

Coopers of Stortford and the Complete Care shop are not too dear, well a few months ago or you may get one from an OT.

I like things that are useful for a lot of things :)

Wits_End, MEMarge, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  17. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the U.S., kitchen stools are classified as either bar stools or counter stools. I recently ordered a counter stool with the seat 23" from the floor, 58.4 cm. The bar stool in this same model is quite a bit higher.

ahimsa and Trish like this.
  18. JoanneS

JoanneS Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have a seat similar to this,

Streetwize LW7 Walking Stick Chair https://amzn.eu/d/4T4vE0g

Although taller than some folding seats, I think it may still be a bit too low for use in the kitchen

InitialConditions and Trish like this.
  19. InitialConditions

That's pretty much what I had seen. Thanks!

JoanneS and Trish like this.