1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

FMT Study: A Retrospective Outcome Study of 42 Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 30 of Whom had Irritable Bowel Syndrome (2019) Kenyon et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by InitialConditions, Jul 26, 2019.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
    Legend, Pechius, ScottTriGuy and 9 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"On clinical experience over many years, the only way to judge improvement in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as there is no test for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, is my clinical assessment."

Is that right?

3. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Journals really should keep a better eye out for these spoof papers people are sneaking through these days.

4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hoping they meant "by" clinical assessment...And even then, clinical assessment sounds to me suspiciously like "whatever the patient tells us."

Annamaria and ladycatlover like this.
  5. InitialConditions

Yes, I saw this and nearly fell off my chair. I assume it is a typo.

Annamaria and ladycatlover like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Abstract
    The gut microbiome comprises the community of microorganisms in the intestinal tract. Research suggests that an altered microbiome may play a role in a wide range of disorders including myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Methods
    42 participants with ME/ CFS with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) were allocated into one of two groups, 21 were treated with standard oral approaches, which centred around various nutritional remedies, probiotics, prebiotics, dietary advice and lifestyle advice. The second group who had mostly failed using oral approaches, were treated with Faecal Microbiome Transplantation (FMT). Each patient received 10 Implants, each from a different screened donor, and the Implants were processed under anaerobic conditions. The transplant is delivered via a paediatric rectal catheter, which is inserted through the anus to reach the lower part of the sigmoid colon.

The results were assessed on a percentage basis before and after treatment, 0% being no improvement, 100% being maximum improvement. An exact non-parametric Mann-Whitney (one-tailed) test was used to compare medians from those on FMT compared with those receiving oral approaches only. On clinical experience over many years, the only way to judge improvement in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as there is no test for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, is my clinical assessment.

Results
    The median for the FMT group was found to be significantly higher compared to the oral treatment group (Mann-Whitney U=111.5, p=.003). Therefore, the FMT group improved to a greater extent (z=-2.761).

Conclusion
    This study shows that FMT is a safe and a promising treatment for CFS associated with IBS. Adequately powered randomised controlled trials should be carried out to assess the effectiveness of FMT in patients with CFS and IBS.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a group of private doctors running a clinic in the UK. They have looked back through their records and picked out 21 'random' patients they have treated with diet, probiotics etc, some for many years, and 21 they have treated with FMT.

The ones who improved (in their clinical judgement) on FMT almost all had irritable bowel syndrome as well, and it was the IBS symptoms that improved most, with some improvement in energy as well.

The purpose seems to be to show evidence to justify doing a proper clinical trial of FMT for CFS.

It's not even a properly set up pilot study, let alone a clinical trial.

But I think it is interesting that FMT seemed to help significantly with IBS.

8. InitialConditions

Thank you for this nice summary. You have more patience than I!