1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Floaters, visual snow syndrome and blurry vision

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Hoopoe, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, vision does get worse with age, although I think short-sightedness is pretty stable during adulthood. I had had a stable vision measurement for years before ME/CFS and it didn't change after either. The 'blurriness' somehow didn't show itself with a standard eye chart where you have one thing to focus on and time to work things out. I don't know if the difficulty seeing detail when driving has something to do with the overwhelming cognitive demand? It also seems to fluctuate in severity.

That's the problem. These things sound like things that everyone gets, and certainly something that everyone who is getting older gets, and they are hard for individual people without expertise in vision science to really pin down. But, they do affect quality of life, and more importantly, they might be clues. It shouldn't be impossible for people who know about vision and have some equipment to hand to plan studies that can tell us if these vision issues have something to do with ME/CFS.

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I only became short sighted in my 50s was long sighted before that I’ve used varifocals for a few years.

Hutan, alktipping and Trish like this.
  3. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’m on a hobbies forum for outdoors, hunting, camping, etc that has thousands of active members. This topic came up and apparently lots of healthy active people have floaters and visual snow like myself and others here. I too feel like floaters and snow symptoms showed up around CFS onset. Tinnitus is also another common finding in the shooting for sport section, especially amongst military vets.

4. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My vision became rather moribund within 48 hours of the acute infectious illness that rendered me an ME casualty. Since then, I’ve had a corneal confocal microscopy confirm severe damage to the small nerve fibers in the cornea. According to the ophthalmologist, this provided unequivocal evidence of the source of my persistent eye pain, which worsened the more I engaged in tasks requiring extensive visual focus.

I’ve received a variety of treatments that aid in ameliorating the corneal pain, and it indeed has subsided a great deal. I still grapple with the blurry vision and blizzard like visual snow, but that’s more manageable. The nerve pain in my face is another story. I dread it mightily, and yearn for some reprieve.

Hutan, alktipping, jaded and 3 others like this.