1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Flexibility exercise training for adults with fibromyalgia Cochrane Systematic Review 2 Sep 2019

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD013419/full

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Author list for reference:
    Soo Kim
    Angela J Busch
    Tom J Overend
    Candice L Schachter
    Ina van der Spuy
    Catherine Boden
    Suelen M Góes
    Heather JA Foulds
    Julia Bidonde

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The main finding from this seems to be that most research of this sort is of such poor quality as to be useless. It might be interesting to find out how much money was wasted on running all those useless trials, and how much academic promotion etc was based on such publications.

merylg, Invisible Woman, Joh and 14 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cochrane need to understand that all trials of this sort are worthless. Cochrane clearly does not understand that. Until it does its opinion also seems to be worthless.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that they managed to understand that safety is uncertain due to information on adverse events being scarce......

6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can personally attest to a large increase in pain with certain mild stretching exercises.

Because of central sensitization in fibro, certain muscle areas are always problematic and any eccentric muscle contraction will result in increased pain, sometimes severe.

I've had episodes where lifting a fork is too painful (trapezius involvement).

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uhhhhhhhhh. Where's the C in that sentence?

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

podcast about this review
    https://www.cochrane.org/news/podcast-flexibility-exercise-training-adults-fibromyalgia

9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My personal experience with fibromyalgia and the advice to stretch throughout the day:

Muscles feel extremely tight (semblance in the nerves to spasms) and cannot be stretched because of impedance (again in the tissue and/or in the nervous system).

It is only after pain medication (low dose opioid in my case is very effective) and a muscle relaxant and perhaps a hot bath or deep heat, stretching is possible, ie. only then will I feel a normal relief of tightness from stretching a muscle (albeit very transient).

Stretching extremely tight muscles is not recommended and is not possible without those measures mentioned above.

Again, the main issue with fibro should be to reduce pain and muscle 'tightness'. Stretching alone does not accomplish that. Not going to improve quality of life.

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And it looked like they only had one trial with a minimal intervention control group, which had no significant differences either. I'd have been interested in having that result in the abstract/summary too.

A lot of Cochrane reviews on issue I'm interested in just don't seem worth reading tbh.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020