1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

First 3D printed human corneas

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Barry, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More 3D printers...and that's when they take over. :jawdrop:

Squeezy, Skycloud, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thank you forbin laugh out loud moments are so welcome.

Barry, Squeezy, Forbin and 1 other person like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do wonder when A.I. becomes so advanced that it's gonna start solving diseases before human researchers can. You'd assume that a computer doesn't have the same fallacies as men when it comes to desiring money or status and thus would just go on researching the disease instead of trying to garner a career.

alktipping, andypants and Forbin like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Machine learning techniques would certainly find patterns in data that humans wouldn't but care needs to be taken that they are not superficial features of the data or collection devices. But the big issue is availability of large volumes of data. Here there is work on things like nano sensors and micro fluidics that may help produce cheap accurate sensors that could collect much higher volumes of data than the current lab based processes. This feels like a precursor to using ML techniques.

alktipping, andypants and Forbin like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I know that at least one 3d printer manufacturer is printing parts of its printers. But I don't think they deliver half a printer and expect you to print the rest out yourself.

But they are working on printing metal, electronics etc so perhaps one day!

Squeezy, EzzieD, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The concept of Self-Replicating Machines has been around for a while, going at least as far back as the 1940's when the idea was fleshed out by mathematician John von Neumann. For that reason, they are sometimes referred to as "von Neumann Machines." The concept was rapidly linked to space exploration as a way of dealing with the problem of a galaxy so vast that only self-replicating probes, capable of increasing their numbers exponentially, would seem have any hope of surveying even a portion of it.

The idea naturally found its way into science fiction. If I recall correctly, in the sequels to his novel "2001: A Space Odyssey," Arthur C. Clarke said that the alien monoliths of the story could function as, or simply were, self-replicating von Neumann machines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018