1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finland: 2023 Helsinki University Long Covid conference

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Adam pwme, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There is mention of him having to respond to leading questions though:
    So, I'm sure the event reinforced the closed mindedness of BPS advocates to Nath. Perhaps it will be the most important outcome of this conference, which otherwise was just BPS proponents preaching to each other.

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

One possible good out of this conference is that it might indicate how the BPS club is becoming more insular and isolated from mainstream medicine, and irrelevant.

Having them corralled off to the side like that would help make them readily identifiable to the rest of the world so it can keep a more effective eye on them and what they are trying to do.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The mistake here is thinking that the BPS model is separate from mainstream medicine. It isn't. It is the model of mainstream medicine. It has two modes: scientific and biopsychosocial.

One mode works and is applied a lot where people care about outcomes. The other is the default alternative. But it's not separate. Everything coming out of medicine tells me that most think it's the future of medicine, and it would be even worse today if it wasn't for constant opposition from patients.

It's a harsh truth but it's important to not forget it. THIS is modern medicine. This is why it's so hard to beat this zombie ideology, we are literally fighting the model on which modern healthcare is built. Even if it's the part that doesn't work, it's the only game in town for now, and is more dominant than at any point in history.

It's not like talking in secret, and in codes, and having secret conferences is anything new. It is the only way this has ever happened. In darkness, and with loads of BS to fertilize it.

alktipping, MEMarge, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was posted today on the FB page of the Finnish ME/CFS association:

Facebook translation:

5. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard Nath mention macrophages. It sounds like he took a stand for us too!

Sean, RedFox, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good. Perhaps the conference organisers have actually done the ME community in Finland a favour by showing journalists and politicians what the community faces.

It's M.E. Linda, Sean, RedFox and 5 others like this.