1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding the 'right' GP: a qualitative study of the experiences of people with long-COVID, 2020, Kingstone/Chew-Graham/et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Dolphin, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://bjgpopen.org/content/early/2020/10/12/bjgpopen20X101143

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this was interesting given that Chew-Graham was associated with graded activity-oriented interventions in the past:

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lack of introspection is amazing. Had it not been for the context of the pandemic, nearly all of those patients would have fallen into the black of hole BPS/MUS championed by the likes of Chew-Graham. The patients are excoriating this paradigm in painful detail, basically giving it a failing grade as being worse than nothing.

Because this is exactly where they currently fall. In the space that BPS built. This here is not the absence of a plan, it is the BPS plan. And Chew-Graham here details the complete failure of this paradigm without seeing any connection to the fact that this is the paradigm she has helped build, that this is in fact a massive denunciation of the very work she has done. Without any introspection whatsoever. Remarkable.

Had those patients fallen into their nightmarish trap without the Covid context, people like Chew-Graham would have boasted of the efficacy of this paradigm, how the BPS paradigm is so powerful at helping them. Exact same substance, entirely different framing. No ability to see the cognitive dissonance.

I see no discussion of treatments offered, or the actual data. It seems mostly to revolve around exercise and "treating anxiety". Would have been interesting. I wonder why this does not feature, since it was part of the semi-structured questions.

I mean:
    This is literally the BPS model Chew-Graham has been promoting along with her ideological peers. Here it is being criticized for being nightmarish nonsense. Absolutely no recognition of this simple fact by the authors.

Incredible what people stuck in an ideological bubble can convince themselves of. They just keep proving themselves wrong and still they never budge from their pre-existing beliefs.

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. The same with the Royal Society of Medicine seminar. She disavowed her previous approach implicitly but won't cop to it.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Professor Chew-Graham’s Apparent Shift in Position on GET/CBT
    https://www.virology.ws/2020/10/21/trial-by-error-professor-chew-grahams-apparent-shift-in-position/

Woolie, Binkie4, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As you may have guessed I'm not very good on bible studies, but isn't there something about "more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents..."? It just needs one more step.

Wits_End, Woolie, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I just saw the documentary The Family, about an adoption and child mistreatment scandal in Australia during the 60s and 70s. At the end of the film the Australian Prime Minister was seen issuing a formal apology to all those whose lives had been destroyed by the adoption policies and practices of the time. Parents and children.

People in the audience - obviously those how had been separated from their babies or from their birth mothers - were weeping. It was clear how important it was to them for somebody to acknowledge their pain and suffering and say the words "I'm sorry".

I wondered whether it would ever happen for PwMEs. And then realised, probably not.