1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fight to Cure Lupus: A Proof of Concept in an Animal Model, 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by butter., Dec 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The Jerusalem Post:

Hutan and MEMarge like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might be of interest to @lunarainbows as she has Lupus as well as ME.

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like a signalling problem.

5. butter.

This is what ME is like!

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find media reports like this a bit frustrating because they don't say much useful, except unjustified hype about the impact.

Even the abstract of the article is much more readable.
    https://science.sciencemag.org/content/366/6472/1531

This is highly unlikely to be a major treatment for Lupus, yet the research is quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDAC1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage-dependent_anion_channel

Michelle, spinoza577, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't doing this analogous to blocking the pain, and the perception of, a severe leg injury in order to reduce the symptoms associated with such an injury.

How do they know that removing the organisms 'awareness' of a potentially serious and ongoing problem, and thus removing what the organism has evolved as an appropriate response to it, won't turn a 'debilitating' chronic condition into a short term but fatal one?

I mean presumably the response, and the signals, exist for a reason.

Sticking a piece of tape over a engine warning light may seem like a good way to sort out an irritating light, but doing so rarely ends well unless action is taken to, you know, diagnose and fix the problem that caused the light to come on in the first place.

Especially when other warning signs are evident, like not being able to drive uphill, or above 30mph.

The whole of modern medicine seems to be about finding new bits of tape to cover up warning lights, rather than fixing the problems that caused the light to come on in the first place.

'Understandable' if your only priority is to get from A to B now, but not a solution, or shouldn't be, if you give a damn about peoples quality of life, or even their health.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Michelle, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  8. butter.

not every signal exists for a reason, or for a good reason actually, complex systems fail, all the time, everywhere, if not, you would not get sick first place.

Sarah94 likes this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can you possibly know that?
    Debatable, philosophical.

I would think that most, but not necessarily all, 'random' signalling would be eliminated by evolutionary processes within a few hundred million years or so.

Systems wear out, and/or become unsuited to their environment if it changes, this is not the same thing as the system failing.

On the contrary, this is the system behaving as it should, from an evolutionary standpoint.

Maybe in the 12th century this would have been an appropriate viewpoint.

Andy, alktipping and Invisible Woman like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Animalmodelobabble I think.

Michelle, TigerLilea, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge. Is Lupus a bit like ME i.e. no biomarker* and no treatments - is it part of the spectrum ME, post-treatment Lyme diseases, post---name your pathogen--.

I think I recall that Ron Davis highlighted concerns about using animal models to study diseases -- they may be misleading (from SEPSIS research Ron was involved in?).

*I used to write "diagnostic test" but @Jonathan Edwards et al impressed on me the emphasis should be on biomarkers rather than diagnostic tests --- progress!

12. Jonathan Edwards

Not like ME at all. There is well established pathology. There are pretty reliable blood tests. And there are very effective treatments for a lot of the problems although not all. We understand the mechanism reasonably well. There are animal models that reflect some of the steps in the chain but none that model the causation in humans very closely. But that does not matter because we have been able to work out much of what is going on from clinical studies in humans.

Michelle, TrixieStix, Sarah94 and 5 others like this.
  13. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it a autoimmune disease i.e. caused by autoimmune antibodies?

Michelle likes this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Yes. Whereas most autoimmune diseases work through one or two linked antibodies lupus has a whole family of autoantibodies. The central ones are antibodies to nuclear proteins and DNA - antinuclear antibodies. The secondary ones include antibodies to platelets, to phospholipid, to lymphocytes, and others.

Michelle, TrixieStix, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.