1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fibromyalgia and the Gut Microbiome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disorders' started by Dolphin, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Gigi300

Gigi300 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Shak 8: "Well, no, you don't. Is there research to back it up. Or has the book author conducted scientific research (scientific: control group, adequate number of subject tested for hypothesis testing). No.

(traduction google, I Hope it's ok, and respect). Do we always need research to confirm that something is good for us? Do we have to wait until research is done on the ME to activate, to look for things that do us good? Is research the only tool to move forward, to improve in terms of health? Food is a very important factor in our daily functioning. Think about it, make corrections, try experiments, even without scientific support, does it suck? What I find strange is that you give your opinion without having read the book of this seasoned and recognized microbiologist. Suddenly the diet would do you good. I brought him because he got me out of an unnamed lethargy. And that there are thousands of testimonies on the site of this researcher saying all the good that this regime does to people who have passed through the medical system (scientist by the way), and that they do not leave it of their illness. But that this diet had helped them a lot. Is that bad? Science is still in its infancy. And ME, a complex disease with several factors at play, will require several researches before being proven. The disease is variable in its severity. So, not trying to improve your diet is what you have to do. It's your choice. Mine is different.

shak8 likes this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am stating general principles about research. If something works for you, and it continues to help, fine, I think that's great.

I have improved my diet as much as is possible and it has no effect on my energy level.

Just because someone is a doctor or a microbiologist, that does not give me credence that what they propose is true. The only way to find out what is true is by designing and carrying out a scientific experiment, not testimonials.

Invisible Woman, Milo and Trish like this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Not to devalue your efforts, but if a specific dietary regimen is needed*, just "improving" ones diet might not be enough. In my case, before I knew I had milk protein allergies, I ate a healthy diet with lots of dairy (the norwegian ministry of health recommend three servings of dairy a day). My diet was in many ways "ideal" - just not for me. And I firmly believe that being ill makes us more dependent on nutrient dense foods, but not all of those foods are suitable for all persons just because they are nutrient dense. There could be some components or additives that are challenging for the body to deal with.

Inflammatory bowel disease patients can increase their time in remission by avoiding the gut irritant carrageenan (there has been research), and in the study i previously mentioned where remission was achieved in five weeks, it took major dietary changes and a restrictive eliminary protocol to get there. Just doing some of it might not be enough to achieve those results, altthough again we can only do what is possible for us. What we tolerate and in which quantities will probabøy differ between different people based om genetics, their microbiome, sleep, health status etc.

Edited to add: And of course it might not work at all for some, which is also the case with some types of medication.

*Diets can be different even if they are based on the same principles

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is always a red flag for me if you have to buy a book in order to cure any ailment, may it be physical or emotional. These books are not peer reviewed. These protocols are not trialed with the rigours of the scientific process.

shak8, Invisible Woman and oldtimer like this.
  5. Gigi300

Gigi300 Established Member (Voting Rights)

excuse me I have difficult to put the message in english

[QUOTE = "shak8, post: 232982, member: 687"] I have improved my diet as much as possible and this has no effect on my energy level. [/ QUOTE]

Well done for trying. It is therefore that you think that diet is an important factor in your life and that you thought it good to change it by improving it. It was a hunch from the start of the illness. But there have been others.

[QUOTE = "shak8, post: 232982, member: 687"] Just because someone is a doctor or microbiologist, it doesn't give me the certainty that what they want to be true. [/ QUOTE]

and in response also to Milo

This retired microbiologist who was suffering from pain herself wanted to remedy it. This woman has taught at 3 university levels and held a research chair for several years in Montreal (University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada). She herself reports that in her book cited above, there are 450 studies cited in her first book on the subject of diet and pain. She still needs to know a little about what she is talking about. This is why we must first read how it exposes how food can cause inflammation, etc. and other problems, intolerances, allergies, etc. It was not fair for fibromyalgia. When you go through the science-based medical system and look for what they have to offer and it doesn't work, you turn to what's natural in your life. Dietary changes are in the scheme of things. It is not a fashion.
    Much research is underway on the microbiota, which is expanded developed by what we eat.

[QUOTE = "Midnattsol, post: 232988, member: 3002"] * The plans can be different according to the principles [/ QUOTE]

Yes surely. We just need to find what works for us. Besides I regularly read other diets to see if there are not things that I could still improve in mine because it is not a religion for me. This microbiologist, Ms. Lagacé, is not a guru. She works to help. Her personal approach led her to work with a group of professionals to make proposals to the National Assembly of Quebec (Government of Quebec) to improve patient care. Now she told us that she really wanted to retire.
    She is also recognized in France because she has taken up the hypotoxic diet developed by Dr Jean Seignalet (who died in 2004). She presented in her books the hypotheses of this doctor who had helped his patients to eat better. He had kept all of these changes in his medical records. Ms. Lagacé picked up where she had gone and demonstrated in her first book that Dr. Seignalet's hypotheses were confirmed today with studies that were being done, among other things, on inflammation, etc. But me, I apply only the best that I can and this for 8 years this regime. It is not complicated at all. And since I have experienced a marked improvement, going from very severe to moderate, it is normal that I want to share this with people I know suffer abominably. And I also know from all of the testimony on Ms. Lagacé's site that this diet helps a lot of people with various illnesses. I never said heal. And she never says that. But be in remission, get better. Here. It is for the good that I speak of it. I do not earn anything and she gains nothing other than having helped thousands of people. It's already very good in someone's life.

I apologize once again, I have moved away from the starting point and I hope that the next speeches will go to answer it. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020