Preprint Females are less likely to receive bystander cardiopulmonary resuscitation in witnessed out-of-hospital cardiac arrest, 2023, Munot et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you are a woman, particularly reproductive aged woman, bystanders are significantly less likely to use a public defibrillator on you than on a man with cardiac arrest.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2806840

Michelle, Arnie Pye and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must admit I would be nervous about using an AED because I don't know where the pads go on the chest. And yes, I know the machines have instructions, but I would feel more confident if I had seen the whole process from start to finish a few times. I wish there was an advert shown on TV and the internet every so often telling you what to expect. I don't like to be taken by surprise with anything. Such an advert would only have to be a minute or two long. I remember Public Information Films from my youth but they seem to have gone the way of the Dodo.

Michelle, Sid and Wonko like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope. All I have is vague memories from TV shows, several decades ago. That would be the basis of what response I would be able to provide in such a situation. I know there are courses available, but long drive + ME means I am not eager to take the course.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Duck and cover! :)

Arnie Pye likes this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for that video. I should have thought of checking Youtube. But having said that I've just realised I might have another problem - I could struggle to hear the machine. I'd also like to see the pad placement on a mannikin with arms and breasts.