1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue in ANCA-associated vasculitis (AAV) and systemic sclerosis (SSc): similarities with (ME/CFS). A critical review of the literature 2022

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fatigue in ANCA-associated vasculitis (AAV) and systemic sclerosis (SSc): similarities with Myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). A critical review of the literature

ABSTRACT
    Introduction
    Persistent debilitating fatigue is a frequent complaint in patients with systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases (SARDs). Fatigue is, however, frequently overlooked in the clinic, and patients who successfully achieve remission of their disease, often still have a lowered quality of life due to its persistence. How similar is this fatigue to Myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), what is this fatigue associated with, and what tools/approaches (if any), have resulted in the improvement of fatigue in these patients is poorly defined.

Areas covered
    Similarities between the pathophysiology of ME/CFS, systemic sclerosis (SSc) and primary systemic vasculitides (PSV) are discussed, followed by an in-depth review of the prevalence and correlates of fatigue in these diseases. The authors reviewed literature from MEDLINE, APA PsycInfo, Embase, and CINAHL.

Expert opinion
    Persistent fatigue is a prominent feature in SARDs and may not be associated with components commonly associated with disease activity and/or progression. Immune and metabolic commonalities exist between ME/CFS, SSc, and PSVs – suggesting that common pathways inherent to the diseases and fatigue may be present. We suggest that patients with features of ME/CFS need to be identified by treating physicians, as they may require alternative approaches to therapy to improve their quality of life.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1744666X.2022.2116002?src=&journalCode=ierm20

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do they say anything about PEM? Is PEM found in these other illnesses?