1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Failure to update Australian CFS guidelines

Discussion in 'Other guidelines' started by MyalgicE, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Warnings that the Australian CFS guidelines were 'biased, out-of-touch and potentially harmful' were ignored.

Thousands are receiving harmful medical treatment and denied disability support due to failure to update them back in 2012.

Back in the 90s, the government saw a need for guidelines and it took 7 years to develop. The Senate called for immediate review due to potential for damage. Yet they were kept, even when they due for replacement in 2012 (NHMRC says all guidelines need updating every 10 years).

In 2012 Emerge Australia, then ME/CFS Australia (Victoria, Tas, NT), committed to updating the guidelines, based on International Consensus Criteria for ME. Emerge was given two years to deliver new clinical guidelines to the government.

People have shared their stories of how this has impacted them and a few of us at ME Australia have spent lots of time over the last few months putting this story together:

https://meaustralia.net/2019/07/01/...see-people-with-me-denied-disability-support/

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019